xxxi. An Oni in Town Square

CHAPTER THIRTY-ONE

Since When Do You Speak Japanese?

__________________

     EXCITED SHOUTS and the crash of instruments filled the inside of high school's gymnasium. Ryan cringed when he approached its entrance. The sounds made his sensitive ears ring. Hope entered the crowded room before him and Alaric. Cheerleaders yelled as they shook black and red pompoms, while the band played an indistinguishable toon. A pep rally.

     Not the best time for an Oni-possessed Rafael to go missing.

     "Damn," Hope exclaimed as she glanced around the room, "I wonder if Raf already touched someone."

     Ryan scoffed, taking in the scene of teenagers hoping around and shoving into one another. "I'll be surprised if he hasn't. Have you seen this place?"

     "Yeah, just look for anyone acting strange or erratic," Alaric told them.

     Just then, the members of the Mystic Falls football team gathered in a circle in the middle of the basketball court. They grabbed ahold of each other and started to chant, "Timberwolves! Timberwolves! Timberwolves!"

     Hope blinked. "You mean besides the football team?"

     Ryan sighed. "This is gonna suck."

     Before they could say more, the new sheriff stepped in front of them. "There's a student that needs your help," she stated and motioned for them to follow her.

     Ryan exchanged a look with his sister and former headmaster, spinning on his heel to go after the woman. They headed toward a corner of the gym where the locker-rooms were located. The noise from the pep rally faded as they entered the sweat-scented space. Ryan weaved through the metal lockers that held bags and other belongings. His gaze landed on someone sat at the end of a wooden bench with their head in their hands. Rafael.

     Ryan slowed his pace, not knowing if the Oni was still inside him.

     That thought failed to cross Hope's mind as she moved toward Rafael.

     "Hope, wait. Don't touch him," Alaric warned her, but she ignored him and crouched in front of the boy.

     Ryan eyed Rafael when Hope set a hand onto his knee. He did not feel anything that would lean toward a demon or dark magic presence. Although, he could never be too cautious.

     "Raf?" Hope questioned the boy, forcing him to lift his head and look at her. "Hey. Oh, yeah. That's you, isn't it?"

     Rafael took a deep breath and nodded. "Yeah." He stared at Hope for a long moment, before he glanced to where Ryan and Alaric stood nearby. "Um – I wasn't in control back there."