Chapter 25: Fools Make Easy Targets

"Get away from me with that thing, Blake, I'm warning you."

Even though Blake Mamore from the Dalprina inn was my age, he always came by to play with Marin. He claimed that I was no fun because I couldn't be teased.

That wasn't true. Claiming I was no fun was teasing enough and I was rightfully perturbed.

But that was fine, because Blake was annoying.

He chased Marin around our kitchen yard with a dead snake in hand. It was a snake I just killed, and I held the assault weapon—a small short-handled spade used in the kitchen garden—in my hand as I watched them run in circles, raising dust in their wake. Blake had longer legs, but Marin was as fast as a cat. She dashed around me and caught me by my forearms, pushing me in front of her as a human shield.

Blake skidded to a halt when he sensed the power of an older sister's protection. I lowered my chin and pinned him in place with a glare before smacking the spade handle into the palm of my other hand.

Blake's mouth fell opened with fright, and simultaneously, the snake fell into the dust.

We all looked at it where it lay, lifeless, mangled.

Marin was first to break the tension with a loud snort. Blake rocked on the spot when his laughter overtook his balance.

I was last to laugh.

***

I could already smell the scent of wine and roasted meat as we walked through the glass passageway from the Eloroan house to the hall. I could hear the hum of many voices speaking, and shrill bursts of laughter.

The great hall of the Masca Delen was the largest hall I had ever seen. Por-Biol style pillars in blue-veined zemen marble with twelve jagged points held up the doming ceiling fifteen feet above our heads. Each pillar was wrapped in vines made out of gold and studded with emeralds and green crystals. A mural of tigers peacefully lounging in the rays of sunlight on a background of mountains covered in pine and cedar trees was painted overhead, while below the black and white floor tiles were arranged like the stripes of a tiger.

The pillars sectioned off the dance floor from where the long tables were set with an endless array of food and drink. Behind the high tables were many alcoves with lower tables and floor cushions that could be closed off with heavy ocher curtains for privacy.

I didn't stand out in any way amidst the grandeur. The loud splashes of colour. The sparkle of jewels. The shine of precious metal. The serum-induced glow.

I was in every way a creature of this place. A friend with the spiders. A spinner of lies, with a mask on my very soul.

After the first ball I attended in Velamia, I came to realise that all balls were the same. Some happened in smaller halls with dimmer lighting in the corners, others had more wine and better dancers, while there were some balls that were as dry and dull as old bones.

But there was always a familiar pattern.

First, the Reception.

I came with Waryn, though Afali was wedged between us. Afali's mask was simple gold, with the crest of Aspertin stag embedded over the corner of each eye, inlaid with small green beryls. But the simplicity of the mask was only due to the tiara she wore. Tall, yet gently branching gold horns balanced on her head, studded with diamonds hither tither in an inconsistent pattern, purposefully to break the light at odd moments.

Her lips were painted dark green, to match her dress and jewels.

Lord Yoav Kiri, Leah's husband, dragged her along on his arm, keeping a brisk pace, while Nava walked alone, tall and regal, the whiteness of her dress slashed by the pattern of maroon tiger stripes.