{43}

Ephemeral

(adj.) lasting for a very short time

Running up next to Arrax, I felt comforted by having my mate in such close proximity. Our eyes met and as we kept fighting for our lives, the tiredness was starting to hit all of us. Werewolves had been killed because of how drained they were, but I refused to leave this fight, I would be the last one standing if that meant I'd protect the pack. 

Punching a werewolf that charged at me to the ground, I kicked his body into a nearby tree making him whimper by the hit. As I stalked towards him to finish it off, my body tumbled to the ground, a vicious wolf was on top of me. 

Blood and white froth was dangling from his teeth, the disgust in me enough to overpower him, pushing him off I snapped his neck. The other wolf jumped onto my back, my body falling to the ground. Grabbing his neck I flung him onto the dirt in front of me, splitting his jaw when he tried to bite me. 

Holy hell they were challenging me. 

Hundreds of us were left fighting off what felt like thousands of them, this had to be the biggest attack in this pack's history and it was all because of how the rogues decided to rot together and take pack wolves down one by one. I was considering shifting and letting everyone see, if I let her go at it I could slaughter triple the amount of werewolves and we really needed it right now. 

A gut wrenching growl emitted to my right followed by a pained howl. When I saw Grant on the ground, an open gash oozing with blood from his stomach, our eyes met and he shifted to his human form. The guilty wolf was still by them, boasting in taking down the Gamma. 

Balto was too occupied with other wolves to be able to help his friend out. My legs started as pure anger took over my entire being, jumping on the wolf's back, my hands gripped his snout, pushing his head backwards. The pain must be excruciating for him, but he deserved nothing less. He howled at me in pain, when I pulled that last bit, splitting his jaw and breaking his neck. 

When we feel to the ground I crawled towards Grant, his eyes zoning in and out of consciousness. "No, no, no, no..." I whispered, tears welling up in my eyes, this couldn't be happening, not to Grant. 

'Snap out of it!' My wolf growled at me, this was the first I'd heard from her in weeks and she was right. Gripping the dirt underneath us, I summoned the elements into my body, bubbling under my skin my white eyes met his. He was so far gone he didn't even react to me being an Aurelia, healing him took a lot of power out of me, his wound was deep and long. 

Heavy drops of rain suddenly fell from the sky, as loud thunder raged through the sky. Every droplet of water and roll of bangs and lighting, my body shook by the elements supporting me. When Grant's wounds finally closed, my body fell to the ground while I was gasping for breath. Being out of practice and healing others took a lot out of an Aurelia, it would kill me slowly, but I honestly hadn't expected an attack of this volume. 

"You're her?" Grant whispered when he woke up, I nodded at him in shame. 

Closing my eyes, trying to get them back to their usual blue, it didn't work. They were burning to kill and I knew this was my inner Aurelia wanting to protect the pack. As my eyes met Grant's again, I saw movement from behind the trees. Rogues were running in the direction of the hatch and I was scared they'd find the children. 

Blinded by rage that burned my insides, my fingers began to shake, they needed help and deep down I knew it. A push from my insides made me trip onto the ground when I tried to stand up, gripping my stomach in pain. My hair was drenched by now, the ground muddied and I tried to breathe through the pain. 

'OUT!' My wolf yelled, it was in her nature to protect and I couldn't stop her, couldn't do anything to how persistent she was, couldn't do anything to shift the colors of my eyes. She wanted out and I'd denied her for far too long. 

This wasn't about my secret it was about me being able to take down over six werewolves alone before they hurt the ones I cared about the most, at least more than they already had. I could only manage that in my wolf form.

Releasing the hold I had on myself, the hold I'd been trying to grip onto for months, she took full control of my body. Golden fur grew out of my skin, my bones broke, adjusting to the form of a werewolf, my nose grew into a snout and before I knew it I was completely transitioned, allowing everyone to smell me, allowing them to see me. 

The entire pack began howling, sounds ripping through the dark air, slicing at my heart. Their shock and pain was written everywhere, they officially knew what I was. 

My white eyes found my mate and he howled in despair when we locked gazes, this was the first time he was allowed to smell me, he was seeing me from anew. I could sense the pain this revelation was causing him and I whimpered. This shouldn't have been a secret, he should've known before we came out here. Why the hell hadn't I told him!

His eyes stared into mine as thunder raged in the sky above him, a violent shake left my body by the conflicting emotions. He hated me, it was so clearly conveyed by the way he gazed at my fur and looked into my eyes. My mate was shocked and pained that I hadn't told him before.  

"Aspen?!" Arrax entered my mind, the hurt in his voice pained me to extremes, this was torture. "You're her." He cried in defeat, my shift distracted him, as a rogue attacked him from the side. 

A snarl left my lips when I charged in the direction, ripping into the wolf's flesh on his neck, killing him with one bite. When in my wolf form I was faster than any Alpha, had the strength to kill everyone and the power of a Moon Goddess, this was why werewolves wanted us dead.

I howled at my mate in an apology, "I'm sorry." I told him and then and I ran away, stalking in the direction I'd seen the rogues run, if they touched as much as one hair on anyone, they'd be dead. They would either way.