Chapter 16

Honestly, I had no idea where I was going from here. I wanted to help Tabetha. No, I needed to help her. But I had neither the means nor the littlest idea on how to do so.

"hey" I texted her.

"hey. do u want the rest of the money?" She asked.

"no no. it's not about that. i really want to help u"

"i told u I'm beyond help. don't bother"

I began typing, "no. but I really feel like you should" when she somehow managed this entire paragraph of text.

"I used u, u should just forget about me. at this point im nothing more than a passive paycheck for u. like I said b4 I appreciate u caring about me, but im not worth it. forget me. please. So many people have tried to help me b4 and bc of that, theyre all worse off, some even dead. Please forget me b4 I drag u down w me"

Damn, so she really does not want help. But she really needs it. And the problem is, I think she knows that, but still doesn't care. This is beyond me anyways. Nevertheless, I tried one last thing.

"hey look, I get it. I mean I don't, but I also do. You have reached the point of guilt where you don't care about yourself enough to help yourself. And I know you're probably so far gone, even at this moment to see it, but people care about you. as much as you think you're gone, have no value, or whatever, all the people who tried to help you did so for you. you're probably confused as to why I would care at all, right? You used me. I should hate you. But, I don't. I care about you and, honestly, want to do something good in my life for once. So please instead of throwing your life away, let me help you. If not for yourself, then do it for me"

I stared at my phone for a moment, seeing the dots appear and disappear occasionally. It made me nervous. But at the same time, I was proud of myself. I felt like my masterfully crafted text was sure to sway her. I was going to be the one to save Tabetha!

"u know how many times ive heard that before"

My heart sunk. What? There was no way. There was absolutely no way in hell she heard that before.

"please lose this number. I'll still get u ur money. But please PLEASSE don't help me. im fine on my own"