Chapter 25

My phone alarm went off, blaring the familiar annoying sound over and over until I bolted awake and turned it off. It was 6:00 a.m. and finally Christmas Day.

I looked out the window and saw that the sky was clear but there was still about a foot of snow left on the ground from the previous day, making the scenery beautiful.

Excitement ran through my veins and my tiredness left me immediately. It was Christmas and I needed to get into the holiday spirit. I had woken up early so that I could help Mrs. Parker and Mrs. Lane cook for Christmas dinner. A lot of food needed to be made since the rest of their family would be arriving soon.

I slid out of bed and into the shower, washing myself clean and untangling my hair. When I finished, I dressed in some grey joggers and a random t-shirt. I would be dressing more formally when the guests arrived. For now, I simply threw my damp hair into a high ponytail and slipped on some slides. Next, I grabbed my phone and exited the room, heading downstairs.

When I reached the kitchen, both Mrs. Lane and Mrs. Parker were already there, rushing about and looking panicked.

"Good morning." I said. "Is everything alright?"

"Yes, everything's fine." Mrs. Parker replied. "Merry Christmas by the way."

"Merry Christmas."

"We have a lot to do, the family is scheduled to arrive around 3:00 p.m. so we'll eat around four." Mrs. Lane says, shooting me a friendly smile.

"Okay, is there anything you want me to do?" I asked, washing my hands.

Mrs. Parker nodded, handing me a few onions and tomatoes to mince while Mrs. Lane began to pull random ingredients from the refrigerator.

I took a knife from a drawer and got to work, enjoying the Christmas music that was playing from a phone in the background.

It was around 10:00 a.m. when the kids woke up. Mace and Victoria came rushing down the stairs yelling in excitement as they saw the piles of presents under the Christmas tree. They begged their mother to allow them to open one but she didn't budge, simply asking them to sit down before placing their breakfast on the kitchen table.

They ate fast, rushing into the living room to watch a movie once they finished. At that time, both Mr. Lane and Daniel had woken up, but they were sent to grab some last-minute groceries at the store once they finished their breakfast.

At exactly 11:34 a.m. Killian came trotting down the stairs, shirtless and wearing nothing other than some loose Adidas sweatpants hanging low on his hips. His hair was wet and messy, indicating he had just gotten out of the shower. When he entered the kitchen he walked over to his mother to greet her first and give her a hug.

Then he turned to me.

"Merry Christmas, Eris."

"Merry Christmas."

"By golly Killian, please put on some clothes!" Mrs. Lane ordered playfully.

Killian rolled his eyes. "It's hot in here."

He walked towards the fridge and grabbed an apple, taking a bite out of it.

"I needed that!" His mother scolded. "I was going to make apple pie."

Killian held out the apple to her apologetically. "Sorry, I was hungry."

Mrs. Parker huffed. "I can't use it now, just finish it, I have more."

Killian shrugged, taking another bite and turning back to me. As he did he burst into a fit of coughs, sniffling afterwards.