Not You (part 6)

Merlin's sudden scream rattled Arthur's bones, just as they did in his nightmares. Arthur turned his head, not realizing the toll it would take on him seeing his love brutally whipped. This was the first time Arthur had seen Merlin since he was taken. He looked awful.

He had two wounds on his left arm. One from the dagger back in the cave, the other also a dagger wound. His right arm was terrifying to look at. It was burnt, badly. As was his left leg. His right leg...also seemed to be a wound from a dagger or sword, expect much, much deeper. Arthur seethed, knowing Morgana had tortured Merlin so mercilessly, probably without even a second thought. Then there was one on his torso. Not big enough to be any kind of weapon you can wield. An arrow from a crossbow, Arthur decided. Then there was Merlin's chest. Multiple slash wounds covering his body. Morgana had said she whipped him before.

And now, he was receiving multiple more, this time on his back. Arthur couldn't wait any longer, he burst into action.

***

The pain that blurred Merlin's vision was once again, unbearable. And yet, Merlin knew he wouldn't break. He couldn't feel his magic, but it was still apart of him. He figured that's one of the reasons he's able to withstand so much.

Morgana continued to shred Merlin's back. Each time she reeled back to whip him again, he could feel his blood trickle down the length of his back. He cried out everytime the merciless item touched his back. It didn't help they were now starting to cross over each other. Morgana had whipped him so many times, already, the new ones were being scarred inside some of his other whip marks.

Merlin realized he had started crying. For once, he didn't hate himself for it. After everything he has gone through, any man would start bawling as he did. In fact, they may have even started crying earlier. As he cried, Merlin scrunched up his face in agony. He was done. Nothing was worth this pain...except maybe Arthur. But he would never return Merlin's feelings. Still, he couldn't leave him behind. He had to protect The Once and Future King. He had to protect his one true love, no matter the cost.

***

Arthur jumped down from the balcony, not even flinching as pain reared up in his ankle. What he was thinking, you ask? Merlin. The only thought running through his mind? Merlin. After seeing what he did, any man would do the same. Especially that of one they cared for more deeply than they did anyone else.

Arthur landed in front of the huge door, and no matter how much of a rush he was in, he wasn't stupid. Arthur waited for his knights. After a few seconds of silence, Arthur heard the shuffling of feet and chain mail and his knights landed next to him.

"Sire," Sir Elyan said firmly. "How do you plan on beating her? You're the best swordsman there ever was. But...she has magic. You can't beat her." He said sympathetically.

"I have to." Arthur responded gravely. "For Merlin's sake." He barely made it audible, but the knights heard it as clear as day.

"For Merlin!" They used as a battle cry and they pushed themselves and Arthur through the looming doors.

They crashed through the doors, startling Morgana greatly. She had been just whipped Merlin again, and their sudden intrusion made her stop in her tracks.

Arthur glanced at Merlin. The first thing he saw - minus all the blood and gore and scars - were is eyes. Though they were tear stained, Arthur could see them like a falcon could see his prey from miles away. They were a brilliant blue, despite the darkness that surrounded them. If Arthur looked deeper, he could see the emotions in Merlin's eyes. Pain. Anguish. Torment. Relief. Light. Affliction. Uncertainty. Loneliness. That one caught Arthur's heart off guard. Why would Merlin feel lonely? He had Arthur. Although, now, if he thought about it, he could remember very little time Merlin had opened up to Arthur. Was it because he had never bothered to ask? What has my brother ever done for you? Morgana had said. He doesn't care for you! Did Merlin really think that? Arthur made it his duty to find out after they got Merlin out...if they got Merlin out. No. Arthur thought. I'll get Merlin out of here if it's the last thing I do. It's my turn to take care of him. My turn to be the loyal one.