The Dreaded F Word

Because...he's my friend!

The sentence rang in Cinder's ears long after Olive returned, saying something about sending away the search party with a bunch of excuses and arguments. It rang in his ears while leaving the inn, while saddling up his horse, while riding out of the village. Over and over.

He's my friend!

Most likely he shouldn't be thinking too much about this. Gem had seen the easiest excuse to stop the knight from having him executed, and he had taken it. In his situation Cinder would probably have done the same thing. That didn't mean there was any truth to it.

Except...why had Gem even seen a need to say it? He didn't need him beyond this brief job. He could easily have negotiated with the knight to put off the trial and possible execution until they were done asking around and he no longer needed an expert on shoes. Gem didn't like him that much after all. He just found him useful.

Right?

Or was that just what Cinder was telling himself?

No matter how often he turned the question in his mind, this wasn't something he knew how to answer.

~ ~ ~

It was a quiet ride.

Cinder was riding ahead again, leading the way. The road knew more twists and turns here, and it branched off every so often, and a guide became necessary again. Behind him Gem rode in silence. He didn't make any comments, didn't complain, didn't try to start another stupid competition. He was just completely, utterly silent.

Not that Cinder minded, of course. He had too many things to think about, too many questions circling round and round and round in his head, over and over, unresolved. Sometimes he felt like Gem was about to catch up to him, about to say something, but in the end nothing happened. They just rode on and on and on in silence.

Every so often Olive tried to start a conversation, but after a few sentences it died down. Cinder could see her growing frustrated. She didn't know what had happened, or at least only part of it, and was clearly confused by the sudden awkward silence.

Finally she sped up her horse to ride beside her brother. "Gem," she asked, "what did Hector say to you?"

Cinder glanced over his shoulder, but Gem only shrugged. "Nothing special."

"I know he doesn't approve of your mission," she said gently. "But he's not responsible for you anymore. Don't let it get to you."

Gem didn't answer. He just shrugged again.

"Oh, come on," Olive groaned. "What got into you?"

"Nothing," Gem answered. Not in his usual pouty, childish tone. Just quietly, as if he was only half listening.

"Worried Father will try to stop you again?"

Gem was silent.

"For crying out loud," Olive muttered, then rode up beside Cinder. "Do you have any idea what got into him?"

Cinder might or might not have a suspicion, but he didn't voice it. "Since when do I know what's going on in the idiot's head?"

"At least you still sound like yourself," Olive remarked. She gave a lopsided grin. "You don't, but didn't you see more of the scene than I did?"

Cinder avoided her eyes. "Guess so," he said.

"What did you talk about?"

From the part where I joined, mostly me.