2... Ahhhh!

Chapter Two

"What is this place?" I asked him as he took me out the magical doors. His had a long stride, and I tried to lengthen my own. I refused to have to jog to catch up with him. 

"A shopping centa."

"Centa?"

He rolled his eyes, "cent-errr." He drew out the 'r', glancing at me with an amused expression. "I neva realised how American the fairy accent is," he told me. "Aussie's say 'ah' instead of 'er'. Maybe that will help ya."

"Aussies?"

"Australians."

He took me to one of the boxes, and opened the left door thing, gesturing for me to get in. I stared at it reluctantly, noticing the chair like thing inside.

"Why am I even going with you?" I asked him, "and what is this thing?"

"It's a cah... I mean, carrrr," he sighed, "it's how the humans get around. Think of it as a carriage. Except this one doesn't have horses. And you can't wander around with those clothes on! Humans will probably start videoing you and soon your image will end up all over the world."

"Videoing?"

He rolled his eyes, "just get in."

I glanced at him, and decided he was trustworthy. Not that I had much choice. I sat down, sinking in slightly to the chair. It smelled strange inside the car, and there were lots of things everywhere.

"Don't touch anything," the guy told me, hopping in the other side. He pressed a button to the left of the wheel thing in front of his face, and the car starting growling, making me squeak. He chuckled at me. "Okay. Look. This is the steering wheel, this is the hand brake, these are windows, this is the wind screen, these are air conditioners, or air cons for short." He pointed at each thing in turn. "The thing growling is the engine, which is what makes these babies go." He reached over me and tugged on a black band, pulling it over my body and clicking it into another thing. His face got real close to mine, so I could see the little smatter of freckles over his cheeks. He smelled nice. "This is a seat belt. It saves lives."

I didn't like the seat belt, but I nodded at him anyway as he leaned away, my brain on overload trying to remember all the words he had said. He did something with the car, and we started moving. I pulled my legs up onto the chair, trying not to freak out too much.

"What's your name?" He asked me as he spun the 'steering wheel' around. I noticed the way his arms flexed when he handled the car, and quickly looked away.

"Colby." I muttered.

He nodded. "I'm Lachlan. Call me Lachie though."

We moved out onto the dark road, and we sped along with all the other cars. It was like a river. A really big, fast, scary river. The sensation of being in the car was super weird.

"Why'd you come here?" Lachlan asked.

"To get away from Mom."

"What did your Mum do?"

"Be an over controlling parent."

Lachlan shrugged, "fair enough, I suppose. Do you know anything about Earth?"

I glanced around. "There are humans."

He laughed again, "right. I'll take that as a no then."

"How long is this going to take?" I was starting to feel sick.

"Almost there."

Sure enough, in a few more minutes, he turned the car sharply into an area surrounded by a fence. There was a little garden out the front, and we pulled under some sort of roof. The house, I suppose that's what it was, was white-ish and made from some sort of material I didn't recognise. It was about the same size as mine back home. We got out of the car, well, I sort of stumbled out, and he took me over to a door. He had some sort of keys in his hand to open it, and we walked inside.