Chapter 15: Betrayals

About two weeks after Bryan had turned up at the camp as an evil, demonic, rib-breaking traitor, nothing interesting had happened. Kaykrae had made sure of that. There was no free time, no fun events, not even any laughter or jokes. Hard to laugh when your ex-boyfriend wants to kill you. And it's even worse when you're keeping an extremely ominous prophecy to yourself.

This was Jake's situation. He couldn't tell anyone about his prophecy. For one thing, Kaykrae would kick him out faster than you could say "Not allowed," for visiting the Oracle unauthorized. And, the prophecy was honestly too terrifying to talk about.

Wednesday night, he was pondering his prophecy for the thirtieth time. Water's son must find his way...that was either him or Mitch. But it had to be him, right? After all, it was his prophecy. In order to save the day...so, he would save camp? That was good news, at least. 

He must battle one he admires...that had to be Bryan. Not so happy news. Then again, it didn't say he would kill him, so that was a plus. In order to end his desires...this was the line that confused Jakey the most. Who's desires was he ending? Bryan's? Kronos's? His own?

And, what about Bryan's own prophecy? You shall be overtaken by the one who consumes...been there, done that. A rose will spell out an oasis's doom...the oasis was obvious. But, what rose?

You shall end one's life and destroy another's instead...well, that wasn't happy news since Jakey had to fight Bryan. But you will rescue what matters most in the end...that was the only reliable line. But, now that he was evil, was it beneficial? What if what mattered most was Kronos?

Jake stayed up for hours, thinking over this. He could see why people went insane due to prophecies. The next morning didn't ease his worries.

Everyone was eating before the first three hours of training, but today, Jake was noticing something...different. Daveed and Brandeen kept glancing at each other and stabbing their pancakes with unnecessary force. Brandeen was also fingering something in his jacket pocket.

When everyone stood up, Brandeen and Daveed didn't go outside. Instead, they walked over to Kaykrae.

"What is it? You two weren't-" started Kaykrae.

"Kaykrae, we're saying goodbye," Daveed interrupted.

Everyone stared at the son of Ares and the son of Hermes. 

"What do you mean, goodbye? What-"

"We decided to save ourselves. We're not gonna commit suicide, fighting for a useless cause. We've chosen to live like kings. That's what we're promised. But first..." drawled Daveed.

He unsheathed his knife and jumped Kaykrae. He struck at her nape, grabbed at something, and jumped off. Brandeen took a smoke bomb out of his pocket and threw it down. 

When the smoke cleared, the two were gone.

Mario rushed to Kaykrae. "Did he hurt you?! Did he-"

No, n-no, I-I-'m fine," panted Kaykrae. "But, what did they..."

"Bryan," Austin realized aloud. "They said "fighting for a useless cause." That's what Bryan said when he tried to convince us to not fight Kronos. They've joined him."

Everyone was silent. Daveed and Brandeen had betrayed them. Brandeen, one of their best warriors, and Daveed, a dirty player and a cheat. They would be useful additions to the Titan army.

Kaykrae bowed her head and yelped. "My necklace! Where is it!?"

"What?!"

"It's gone! What-"

It hit Jake. Daveed hadn't tried to kill Kaykrae. He had stolen her healing necklace and brought it to Bryan.

"We can't let this happen. We have to end this!" Jake yelled.

"How?" asked Bri.

"Well, he's getting more popular by the day. I say we pay a visit to the new Titan headquarters. Bryan's castle."