Rowl

We road down the trail for what seemed like hours, going at break neck speed. Story never seemed to take a break or slow down; she had an endless amount of energy. However, Kian's horse seemed to be struggling. His horse had long given up on trying to keep up with Story and now made its way considerably slower down the trail

Slow down, I ordered Story. Story just groaned. I do not want him to think I'm running away.

Eventually, Kian's horse plodded up next to me, sweating and breathing heavily from its large nostrils. Kian's blue eyes glared at me sharply as he dismounted his exhausted horse.

"Let's let the horses rest here," commanded Kian.

I don't need a break, scoffed Story.

"Shush," I chastised her as I climbed off of her. It wasn't until my feet hit the trail that I realized how sore I was. The inside of my thighs ached immensely and I groaned as I put all my weight on my legs.

I'm guessing you haven't ridden horses much, laughed Story.

Keep laughing at me and you won't get any water, I threatened my horse.

You wouldn't, gasped Story sarcastically.

"You're right," I admitted smiling. "I wouldn't." I grabbed to canteen and bowl out of the pack hanging on Story's side. I poured some water in the bowl tried not to spill any water as I hobbled over to Story's head. I held the bowl as Story drank from it.

I glanced over at Kian and saw him doing the same. He held the bowl of water in one hand as he used his other hand to caress the face of his brown horse. Kian's dark blue eyes, that were usually hard and unforgiving, were soft and looked lovingly at the horse in front of him. This horse meant something to him. I couldn't help the smile that flickered on my lips when I realized that I could use this horse against him. Then maybe I could-

You like him, don't you?

My head spun back to Story. "Of course not!" I shouted. Kian glanced at me, but I ignore him.

The lady doth protest too much, smirked Story. I took a moment to glare at her before I made my way back to put the bowl away. I then realized that getting back up on Story was going to be a challenge.

I placed one hand on the horn of the saddle and the other on the back of the saddle. Eventually, I managed to put my foot in the stirrup. Sighing, I braced myself.

One, counted Story, two, three! I moaned as I pulled myself up and slung my leg over Story. Finally, I was sitting on Story's back, breathing heavily.

"Ready?" asked Kian obviously impatient.

"Ready," I breathed.

***

We rode for another four hours at a slower pace than before. My legs had become numb and when I finally slid off of Story, by legs buckled underneath me and I fell the ground.

"Get up," growled Kian as he dismounted his horse gracefully.

"I think I'll just stay here for a bit," I moaned. Story laughed.

"I said," hissed Kian through clenched teeth as he marched over to where I laid sprawled on the ground, "get up." I felt Kian get a fistful of my cloak and yank me up violently.

"Well fine, then," I grumbled as I brushed the dirt off my cloak while I looked around.

The Fief of Lord Rowl was fairly large; it stood in the middle of a large clearing in the forest. The house itself was three stories high, but it wasn't very grand looking. It seemed quite decrepit compared to other fiefs I've seen.