0.8

*

*

Wind rushed through Ana's hair as she stood by the train door. Four had chosen to take the initiates to the wall to show them what the guards did out there. Ana was excited - she could see the Dauntless guard stations from the farms in Amity, and she longed to see how the factions looked from that high up.

Ana followed Will up the stairs of the station, keeping her eyes on the land in front of them. She didn't keep track of how many floors they climbed, but her legs were burning by the time they reached they top.

The view was everything she'd imagined it'd be. She could see Amity's fields perfectly, noticing the small shapes of people that were working in the fields. Her lips turned up into a sad smile, knowing that her parents were out doing their work. She did miss them.

Further away, she could see the buildings in the city. The buildings were smaller than she'd thought they were, but they were stacked closely together, making them look bigger than they were.

Four disrupted her thoughts as he cleared his throat. "As Dauntless, we fight to protect every life inside the fence, without fail. That's why you're trained in the way that you are. To teach you not to give up - and to find out who has what it takes. While it's been quiet out here for years, anything could change within a minute. We have to be prepared for anything."

A boy behind her let out a cheer and the rest of the group broke out in excited chatter once more. Ana let her eyes wander outside of the wall, noticing the barren land that laid beyond it. "What do you think is out there?"

"Monsters." Christina chuckled dryly.

"Amity farms." Will answered, looking in the opposite direction of Ana.

She rolled her eyes. "I know that. What do you think is out there?"

Will turned around, now looking at the land beyond the wall with the rest of them. He shrugged. "Places that never recovered from the war, maybe."

Ana hummed, finding it hard to believe that no one lived on the land out here. Their society couldn't be the only community around, right?

"Do you know?" Will continued, tilting his head as he spoke. "They built their fence for a reason."

---

Ana watched as Eric called Tris and Peter to the ring. She stopped her swings to the punching bag, her attention completely on her friend as she made her way to the ring. The girl was obviously nervous - her face was paler than normal and she looked as if she was going to pass out.

Her eyebrows raised in curiosity when she saw Four grab Tris's arm. He leaned his face towards her, similar to how Eric did when he offered her advice. She smiled at that - her friend had a leader looking out for her as well.