Lady Earthquake Chapter 56

Aware that T'ien Luo-Bi studied his face intently, Sun-Sin concealed his expression as best he could, but he was no actor or diplomatist. "You know about her other identity? How did you discover that?"

"We met more than once, you know. A resemblance? A tone of voice? Perhaps it was those oddly bright eyes. At first, I thought of twins of opposite sexes. Later, when I saw your adjutant again in the palace, it began to occur to me what an outrageous trick she and you had played. To find that you of all men had accepted and fostered such a scheme gave me a whole new perception of you. It surprised me that you would allow your dear friend to expose herself to such a scandalous adventure."

"Not less surprised that I was."

The long brows drew together. "You mean to say you did not know? I misjudged the depth of your innocence. She was not that convincing as a boy."

"You underestimate...Shu Ban-Li."

"Is Miss Dizhen her true name?"

"You want to marry her and you do not even know her name? I misjudged your romantic nature." Was that a flush mounting into the Third Prince's lean cheeks?

"I care no more for that than for her line of descent. No more than you do, I think. Give her to me; I will protect her all her life."

Sun-Sin stared. "I believe you mean that. But that woman is not mine to keep or give away. Dizhen belongs to herself. More so than anyone I have ever met."

"No woman can be responsible for herself. If you step away from her side, how natural for her to turn to me. I will be the wall for her blossoming vines to grow upon. I will be the sun in her sky and my lady will be the moon turning her face toward me for all time."

If poetry were proof of a full heart.... "Pardon my frankness, brother. I remember you have had many relations with women. If I step away, are not you the greatest danger Dizhen would face?"

"I would be different with such a woman. I feel that strongly. I am tired of slaves and flower-maidens who are good only to use and discard. If such a woman were my wife, I would never be able to treat her without due tenderness. Your Dizhen is the only woman worthy of such a placement that I have met in all my life."

T'ien Luo-Bi's tone and eyes had softened. He was almost unrecognizable. Sun-Sin found himself believing in his brother's sincerity, however temporary it might prove. The respectable bonds of marriage would never satisfy a man used to indulging his lusts. He reflected that winning such an iron heart, even for a moment, was not the least of Li An-Xia's victories.

The Third Prince added, "I had lost hope that a woman of true heart and spirit would ever exist, let alone come to me. Promise me that you will step aside. I will treat you, in consequence, as my right hand. Yiang, at the least, will be my kingdom. You will have all the power you could wish for. Wealth too. You are young; any woman would please you. Take that Miss Lung into your household if you wish."

"I have an enduring aversion to women who use poison."

"You know about that?" T'ien Luo-Bi said, echoing his brother.

"Yes. If that was an attempt to gain possession of Dizhen without troubling me, you should not have disclosed your purpose to your tool. Lung tried to remove Dizhen as well by the same method."

T'ien Luo-Bi's fist closed on his wine-cup, crushing the fragile vessel. He glanced down uninterestedly, as a trickle of blood seeped from between his fingers. Picking up his napkin, he brushed away the shards, the blood, and the wine. "How did you slay the woman?"

"I strangled her immediately," Sun-Sin said. "I was as angry as you would have been."

"Are you equally enraged with me?"