part 1; chapter five

You stitched up the back of Poe's head before you both left for his base. When he got there, he wasn't there but two seconds before he was whisked away on a mission to Takodana, where the First Order had just attacked after destroying the Republic. 

"So my job is to just sit here and wait for you to get back?" you asked him. 

Truthfully, you didn't want him to go. You were a stranger here, filled with people that were panicked about their own people. 

"They need air support. You aren't a pilot, are you?" he asked. He shoved his helmet on his head. 

"I'm not much of one," you said admittedly, "but you know I'm good with a blaster. I'd be a good help to you."

His upper lip twitched. "Unfortunately, my X-WING is only built for one." 

"So find a different ship then," you suggested, eyebrows raised. "Or get me a ship."

He shook his head slowly, his mouth a smirk now. "You are something else, princess." He jerked his chin. "Go get a helmet. Fast. I got a fleet to lead."

You got a helmet and a uniform, and then you were given an X-WING. You had no rank, no title, but you had never felt like you belonged more in the universe than when you took off into the sky, blasting off to the stars.

"Okay, Poe, teach me how to use this thing," you said. 

His voice was in your ear. "It's an easy concept," he said. "Just stick behind me, alright? I'll lead you where you need to go."

"Got it, Captain," you said. 

You couldn't see it, but Poe was grinning from ear to ear as he turned downwards towards Takodana. You followed suit, seeing the rush of blue sky and the rush of lush green trees and the shimmering, grey waters that came right before you got to the smoky remains of what had been the castle on the planet.

You could see the stormtroopers below you, as well as TIE Fighters zipping through the air, firing at homes and trees and survivors. 

"Go straight at them! Don't let these dogs scare you!" Poe said. 

"Copy that!" you said. 

"We're with you, Poe," a new voice said in your ear. 

Your X-WING was barely above the surface of the water. You're flying was a little shaky, but you managed to not crash and kill yourself as you zoomed upwards towards the fleet of TIE Fighters, so you considered it a win. 

You hit your first TIE Fighter three seconds in, and you flew threw the ball of orange flames. You gasped, convinced that this moment was it, but when you were heading nose first into the remains of the castle, you yanked the ship upward, zipping right past Poe's X-WING as he took out ship after ship. 

"Whoo-hoo!" Poe exclaimed. "Not bad, princess!" 

"Maybe this'll teach you to not call me princess, yeah?" you asked, taking out a crowd of stormtroopers that were firing at his X-WING.

"Eh, sorry, but I can't call you anything else," he said. "I'm kinda liking this nickname for you." 

You shook your head, smiling. 

"We're about down here. Look at that, they're packing up and leaving," Poe said. "Let's pack up and go ourselves, yeah?"

"Copy that, Captain," you said. 

* * *

Some time later, you arrived back on the green, rolling hills of the Resistance base. You hopped out of the X-WING. You couldn't stop smiling. You'd never felt so alive before.