01 | TO TASTE THE TRIUMPH BLOOD OF A WEREWOLF

|| CHAPTER ONE :
- to taste the triumph blood of a werewolf

///

The bask afternoon sun casted a celestial, honey-saccharine, umber lustre upon the eerie forest floor and the approaching dusk between the tree-like canopy clicked, glowed, and fluttered.

Eyes narrowed in determination, Jeongguk tucked a tousled strand of overgrown ebony locks behind his ear and tightened his grasp on the thin ochre leather satchel strap slung around his shoulder as he trudged through the dense, never-ending woodlands.

Soft hairs of grass tickled his toes, tiny twigs and sharp stones pricked here-and-there, and autumn leaves crunched beneath his bare feet-he had been too short a penny to afford a new pair of clogs (the pervious pair having been stolen). After twisting around branches, pushing away vines, hopping over stumps and thick tangled tree routes, the derelict cobblestone path he took from his small cottage vanished into the forest edge.

Although the journey was troublesome, due to the fact that he lived on the other side of the forest away from the other, more affluent, villagers. He was headed towards the village centre.

The heavenly fragrance of wildflowers wafting through the immaculate forest zephyr and the bittersweet taste of the fresh fruit he intermittently picked from the trees sent ease down his spine. Occasionally, he would encounter a bunny and pet the fluffy creature. Nature: it was a healing place he called home.

The gentle hands of the wind combed through the evergreen leaf canopy above him, tousled tree branches, and his overgrown hair. It snuck beneath his brown threadbare mantel, which grew airborne in the draught wind, and hugged around his concaved waist.

"Almost there," Jeongguk uttered between spurts of air. His exquisite chocolate glazed irises lit up upon the seeing the exit of the unforgiving forest. As to most, the forest brought terror upon him. It was rumoured to be supernatural, almost. If one were to be inside the dense woodlands during nightfall, they would be trapped, taunted by darkness, and never returned after-presumably deceased. It was deemed to be cursed and bombarded with witchcraft. The mere thought of being trapped alone in the iniquitous forest sent uncomfortable chills down his spine.

A triumph grin tugged at the corners of his rosy lips once he saw the light at the end of the forest.

"Finally!" He exhaled and stretched out his aching limbs. Although he visited the village almost daily, his body remained numb and fatigued. Once he caught his breath and adjusted his shaggy appearance, he pulled his satchel up his gaunt shoulder and sprauchled along the cobblestone footpath towards the vivid village centre.

The village buzzed with endless banter. Villagers crowded various food stalls, baskets clasped in their hands as they exchanged their coinage for fresh goods. Jeongguk lowered his head shamefully as he strolled through the hordes of people.

In the autumn zephyr, women's long ankle-length tunic gowns swayed and strands of their hair stuck out from their wimples. Men walked beside their partners with raised chins and their tailored suits flaunted their wealth along with the top-hat atop their heads.

Struck by a sharp pang of jealousy, Jeongguk gnawed on his bottom lip. He wished to boast about a tailored suit of his own one day. He knew it was highly unlikely, given his situation. The man could not even afford a pair of shoes nor fitting trousers! Afraid of their judgemental glares, he pulled the hood of his mantle over his head. He stood out like a sore thumb amongst these nobles, for he was but a mere peasant.

Behind him, the protruding thunder of hooves resonated. He spun around and watched as a lone stallion, Cornelius was his name, galloped through the bleak, sunbathed, village centre. The magnificent animal's muscles rippled from under its freshly groomed pelt and its long muscular legs propelled it forward. Cornelius's wispy black mane whipped like raging fire in the wind. The horseman tightened the reins attached to the horse's bit and led the beautiful creature into a trot, pulling it to a halt beside Jeongguk.