29. Life In Malibu

Scarlet

"Are you sure you will be alright? I can ask Daddy to bring you with us." I said to Cara who was sitting on the couch. I was kneeling in front of her to say goodbye. It was time for our flight and I was feeling so bad for leaving her behind.

"No, grandma said honeymoon is Daddy and your's special time. I should stay behind. And she said she will take me to Disneyland." she answered innocently, turning me into a gooey mess and I once again kissed her on the forehead.

"Aww, my baby." I pinched her cheeks and she groaned. "I'll be back soon, Cara. And I am sure Grandma would take care of you." I said. In the last few weeks, I had grown very fond of this little girl and now, I couldn't imagine my life without her.

Catheryn gave me a reassuring smile and said, "You go enjoy and give me some time to bond with my granddaughter."

"We are getting late." Evan's voice echoed from outside. Giving Cara a tight hug, I made my way out of the house, saying Goodbye to Geena, Kelly and George on my way out.

..........

After a long, tiring five-hour flight, when we finally left the plane, my whole body was aching. Although the seats were comfortable, I wasn't used to sitting at one place this much and it made my back hurt like hell.

Thankfully, a car was waiting for us at the departure. The driver opened the door for us and I slid in first, followed by Evan. The streets looked busier than our city and it excited me to explore this place. But knowing Evan, he would rather stay inside the house than going out anywhere.

"So where exactly are we going to live?" I asked, looking through the window. We spent most of the day in the flight so it was quite late now, which meant I won't get to swim today.

"My beach house." he said casually as if owning a beach house was anything insignificant.

"You own a house in Malibu?" I asked in surprise.

"I own a house in seven different states." he replied with a hint of smirk on his face.

"Show off," I whispered under my breath.

"I heard you," he said and I felt embarrassed on being caught.

The drive from airport to his house was about half an hour long. We passed through crowded areas of this town to more silent and sophisticated ones. From the window of Evan's side, I could see the ocean and the thought of taking a dive excited me.

The driver stopped the car in front of a house and I gaped at it in awe. It wasn't a simple house, it was a freaking bungalow. The driver took the luggage and we followed him to inside.

The inside of the house was even more beautiful. The entrance led into a lounge and this place was cold, unlike the warm climate outside. Maybe it had something to do with the huge glass door that led straight to the beach. Excitement rushed through my veins on seeing it and I hopped towards the door.

"Don't," he called and I stopped in my tracks. "Go change first, I'll ask the driver to take-out some food for us. You can visit the beach in the morning." he told me, more like ordered and I pouted.

"Okay," I said and unwillingly, dragged myself to the bedroom at the one side of the lounge. Once I entered the bedroom, I gasped in surprise when I realised that the wall separating the room from the beach was made of glass and on the other side of the door was a balcony, that contained an outdoor swing with a canopy.

The moonlight was casting a shadow all over the ocean and the sight made my hear warm up. I loved such sceneries and being with Evan fulfilled my dream of spending my honeymoon here; honeymoon minus the honey aka my husband.

Making up my mind to visit it later, I took a long, warm bath and changed into my nightgown. On the last few days, I have grown quite comfortable with this night dress that Helena bought me. The dress itself was very short and revealing but the satin robe over it reached my knees and was actually very comfortable.

I reached the mirror and combed my hair to let them dry freely. The temperature of the water here made my skin flush warm. I took out the tinted lip balm from my purse and applied it on my lips to give them some color. Once I was satisfied with how I looked, I made my way outside.

Call me pervert but I likes how Evan's eyes always widens whenever he sees me in this night dress. Something about the intense look in his eyes makes me feel warm in all the wrong places but the romantic in me likes to earn that look every night. Although I keep reminding myself that he would never think of me in that way and I should stop being so pathetic.

The door led me into the huge lounge where I was earlier. In the middle on a sofa was sitting Evan, scrolling his phone. When he heard my footsteps, his eyes reached me and there it was again, the same expression that makes me feel weak in the knees

"Frank brought these burgers. He said he would bring a cook tomorrow morning." he said as he passed one box to me.

"It's okay. You don't have to call anyone. I will manage. I love to cook." I said.

"Are you sure?" he asked.

"Yeah, I'm sure." I said and sat down on the couch beside him. My eyes darted to the door through which the small waves in the ocean were visible. "It is a really pretty place."

"I know," he said as he took a bite of the burger. It actually tasted amazing; the tender meat almost melting in my mouth.

After the dinner, I went into the kitchen and looked inside the drawers and refrigerator. My mood brightened when I found a box of cooking chocolate in one of the drawers. I grated some chocolate and decided to make hot chocolate.

The heavenly aroma of chocolate filled the kitchen as I stirred it in the warm milk and let it cook for sometime. Once it was ready, I served it in two cups and took it outside for Evan.

He muttered a small thanks when I gave him one cup. I sat down beside him and stared at him to see his reaction. His expression on taking the first sip told me that he liked it and it made me happy as well.

The hot chocolate calmed my nerves and coaxed me to get cozy under a blanket. I wanted to leave for the bed but I kept sitting to give him some company. It wasn't always I find him without a huge pile of files in front of his face so it was almost refreshing.

I started scrolling my mobile while he kept watching news on the TV. I saw him massaging his neck every now and then. He was stretching it left to right and the way his eyes closed told me that he was in some pain. But this stubborn man never tells anyone whenever he was sick or anything.

"What happened?" I asked.

"Nothing," he said. "It's probably just aftereffects of the flight." He said and stretched his arms over his head. The tired look on his face caused me to feel pity for him.

________________________

Kind of a filler chapter. But don't worry, Our dysfunctional couple would get some excitement in the next chapter.