Chapter 7: Hidden Fears

The initiates sat restlessly in a closed room while we waited for the next stage of testing: mental.

The anticipation steadily grew until Four appeared in the doorway and began calling names. After each one, an initiate stood and followed him into the room where they faced their darkest fears. Most of those who left screamed on their way out in response to the torture. The suspense made it worse for those who waited for their own trial.

Then my name was called.

I stood up and walked inside the testing room where Four closed the door behind me.

"So, as you already know," he gestured to a reclining metal chair in the room for me to sit down. "I'm going to inject you with a serum that stimulates the part of your brain that processes fear. It induces a hallucination and then the transmitters in the serum allow me to see the images in your mind."

I leaned my head back on the headrest in an attempt to relax as I watched him prepare the serum.

"You'll be facing your worst fears." I closed my eyes and inhaled sharply when he stuck the needle into my neck. "Stay calm and solve them quickly."

I suddenly felt drowsy, sleep pulling me further into darkness as Four wished me good luck.

When my eyes opened, I was deep underwater and far below the surface above. There was a current that suddenly rushed by my feet and when I looked behind me, a shark's jaws were open to catch my legs. My instincts immediately took over and I swam as fast as I could while looking frantically for an escape.

My heart pounded in my chest as I quickly hid among a cluster of seaweed. From my hiding place, I watched the shark pass by and disappear in the distance. I took the opportunity to swim to the surface for air, but when my face broke through the water, the scene changed.

"Didn't you hear?" someone asked me. We stood on a dirt road as intense heat from the sun beat down on me. "You were below the red line. You're Factionless now."

I couldn't believe my ears. "F-Factionless?" I stuttered.

"Yeah," another Dauntless responded as they both climbed into the back of a truck that began to drive away.

"No!" I ran after the vehicle, but I couldn't seem to reach it no matter how fast I ran. Four stood in the back of the truck with his arms crossed and looked back at me with disappointment on his face. This pushed me to run even faster. I couldn't leave him, even if he left me.

I gained ground on the truck and reached out my hand to grab the edge of the tailgate, but I was a few inches too far. "Help me, Four!" I begged, but he turned his back to me.

In striking denial, I stopped running and stared after the truck. A dust cloud surrounded me and filled my lungs, but I didn't seem to notice. He left me.