15

"Enough! I was supposed to be home more than a week ago! I'm leaving now." For the first time in his life Jesse dares to defy the king, his maker.

"You will leave when I give you leave. There is no reason for you to leave just yet. It has been more than a century since we've spent any time together." The king tells him coldly, keeping his anger in check but just barely.

"Oh, yes there is. I left my mate. She had a feeling that there would be problems if I wasn't there when the sacrifice took place. That was a week ago. That and you forced me to miss her birthday. I haven't received any communications since the night of the sacrifice. If any thing has happened to my mate because you wouldn't fucking let me go because you are on some kind of power trip then I swear I will kill you myself." Jesse if beyond pissed. He can feel the anxiety and sorrow that Esme has because he's not there. He also feels the lack of anything from the other three. 

Something is definitely wrong. So lost in his thoughts that he doesn't realize at first that his father is staring at him in shock.

"You have a mate?" The king says once he knows that Jesse is once more paying attention.

"Shit!" Jesse says he could hit himself. He hadn't wanted to tell the king. Not unless it was necessary, but then again he supposes it is. "Yes, father, I have a mate. I think that she is in danger, perhaps not immediate danger, but I need to get home. I promised her that I would be home a week ago and I don't like breaking my promises. As you fucking well know." The king stares at Jesse in shock. That is the first time he's ever seen Jesse lose control of his emotions and there was no doubt that he did in fact lose control. The vase that was on the table across the room now lies shattered behind him and Jesse never moved from his stance in front of the desk.

"Go, take care of your mate. If you had told me about her before, then I wouldn't have pushed those bitches on you." The king tells him and Jesse immediately turns and walks to the door.

"I told you not to, but you wouldn't listen to me," Jesse says bitterly over his shoulder.

The king stares at the door long after his favorite child has left. He feels the bond as Jesse takes off running toward his home. He must have had his things waiting for him ready to go. He sighs once his son has gone several miles towards his home.

"I think it's about time I visit my son's home once more and see how his brothers and his mate get along." The king says aloud to the empty room with a smile flitting about his face. All he wants is for his son to be happy. The biggest mistake he ever made was making Jesse kill Carlo, but at the same time that turned into something good. He found out that Jesse has the power and potential to be an even stronger king than even he himself is.

Not only that he believes that Carlo will also be a very powerful vampire and will make an excellent adviser to Jesse.

With those thoughts fore most in his mind he gets up and strolls to his room. He takes his time packing his things for an extended stay. He'll have his things brought over in a carriage, but he, like Jesse, will run. He'll just allow time for Jesse to get home and get things taken care of before he arrives.

Once he deems that enough time has passed he gives the final instructions to those he's leaving in charge and takes off running to Jesse's territory. An anticipatory smile lighting his face.

Jesse runs faster than he's ever run before. He is positive that something is wrong and just hopes that he will be able to get home before anything happens to Esme. He will never forgive himself or his father if he is too late.

He gets home and doesn't hesitate, he runs through the door. It barely opens enough for him to get through before he is already beyond it and up the stairs. He heads directly to Esme's room. He can feel her sadness and it terrifies him.

He forces the locked door open and finds Esme on her bed crying. It's obvious that she has been for some time as well.

"Little one, what is wrong?" Jesse demands softly after he gathers her into his arms.

Her shock at the rather loud entrance turns to relief then pain. It's too late, she knows that it's too late.

"You weren't here on the night of the sacrifice." Esme doesn't say this to accuse him, just to explain to him. "They all went to the glade and collected the bitch. Santo," here her tears become overwhelming once more. "It's his turn to have the sacrifice. He brought her here and made sure that she was made comfortable. Immediately I could tell that something was wrong. He stopped feeding from me, Jesse."

Jesse stills at her words. Every day they feed from her unless they aren't home. For Santo to stop feeding from Esme means that he was feeding from someone else, both blood and sexually. Dread fills him.

"Then after a couple of days Desanto stops coming by to feed. Neither of them have spoken to me since.

"Santo married that bitch, Jesse. He fucking married her!" Once more Esme starts crying and now Jesse is sick. There is only one reason Santo would do that and Desanto would turn from Esme. There is witchcraft, a spell going.

"Then a couple of days ago, Carlo has stopped speaking to me or feeding from me." Jesse buries his head into her neck and he takes a bite from her. He can feel the pain from her not feeding the others and can at least lighten that for her.

"I'll find out what the hell is going on, Esme. I promise you. I'm just going to clean up then I'll talk to the others." Jesse tells her.

Esme hides her bitter smile. In just a short time she has no doubt that Jesse will turn from her as well.

The pain is too much. If Jesse turns from her as well she'll have Benjamin take her to the wolves. In time she has no doubt that she will die and they will be free from the human they never wanted.

Jesse not knowing her thoughts gives her a kiss and leaves telling her that he'll have her door fixed before bedtime.

Esme gives him a slight smile and Jesse leaves her room.