Ch. 35

We leave the apartment and a very sullen looking Alix. As I close the door I ask Sam, "Is he okay?"

"No, but I don't think it's possible for him to be okay." She snorts. "His parents saw to that. Its to be expected." She shrugs. "Blunt force trauma to the head." She explains, tapping her head sadly. "Kid never stood a chance."

I laugh. "Trauma to the head? You've got to be kidding."

She joins me in laughing, shaking her head. "Cairo admitted to the fact Alix took a few falls off his changing table as a child. So it makes sense that Alix is...different. Although, the spoiling of him is inexcusable. I'm seriously starting to consider sending them a bill for the childcare, he acts like a toddler when he doesn't get what he wants and I don't work for free." She says, in a no nonsense way. Making me laugh.

"Did he really say that?" I ask, horrified on behalf of Alix.

"He did. You don't even want to know what Alexia said happened to poor Braxton. Although, it seems a tumble down some stairs is far better than a swan-dive off a changing table. Braxton is far more...normal than Alix." She states, after a second. "Both are smart, successful, handsome and equally annoying in my book. So, I wonder. Is it the parenting or is it the concussions?"

"Alix is sweet." I mention. "He just hides it well." I add, in his defense. Thinking I needed to say something nice about my future brother in-law and its true. Alix might be a difficult and distant person but he has a good heart.

She nods in agreement, muttering, "Yeah, hides it so well you cant even see it."

I giggle at her sarcasm. "At least you know where you stand with him at all times. For being very private and as Braxton would say, emotionally closed off. He seems to be very open with you." I point out.

I watch her pondering my view of things and she smirks.

"I suppose thats true. Thanks, Charlie. I kinda needed to hear that right about now."

I smirk back, "I noticed. Want to talk about it?" I offer.

She shakes her head. "Nope, not today. I want to get away from him. Even if its just for the next couple of hours. Another time, though?" She asks, sounding as if she hopes I understand the delay.

"Absolutely." I tell her, because I do get it.  As the elevator doors open to the foyer of the building. I see Alexia in a discussion with Cairo and start walking towards them. They notice us and smile in excitement.

We exchange hugs and I ask Cairo, "Are you joining us?"

He smiles and turns to his wife clearly looking for permission. She tilts her head at him smirking. "I would love to." He says, ecstatically.

"I told him it was for just us girls. He never listens." Alexia sighs, in exasperation.

"She's my daughter now. I want to enjoy it. I always wanted a baby girl." He gushes.

"That's sad. I'm just hoping to have actual humans, nothing like the two devils you two created." Sam says, crossing her arms.

Cairo tries to hide his smile but fails miserably. "Is our Alix giving you trouble again?" He acts surprised.

"You can safety assume whenever you see me that your son is giving me two things. One, trouble and two a headache. I was just discussing with Charlie how close I am to billing you for the childcare. He is terribly spoiled and I blame you two."

Cairo puts his hand over his heart. "Well- I never." He says, faking outrage making us all laugh.

"I'm more curious about the stairs situation. Did Braxton really fall down the stairs when he was little?" I ask, shaking my head.

Cairo and Alexia both turn to look at Sam who has found the tile floor very interesting. Then her hands come up. "I'm sorry! I shouldn't have said anything. But in my defense Alix put me in a bad mood." She explains, kicking the floor.

Alexia's arm goes around Sam, "Just be patient with him. He has a lot to learn."

"I'm not a teacher." Sam grumbles.

"Maybe not intentionally, but you are." Alexia corrects her.

Knowing that Sam doesn't wish to spend the day on her problems with Alix I smile at our small family. "Ready to shop?" I ask, happily.

We start at a making our way to the various boutique's lining the streets. I can already tell that Cairo is regretting his decision to join us. Especially after he see's the total on is wife's purchases at a upscale shoe store. I even wince when I see the damage done to Cairo's credit card. I look at Sam who is admiring a couple of things in the next store with wide eyes.

"Oh, to be rich." She mutters, sliding in next to me.

I laugh. "I could never spend this much on my clothes or accessories. I'm an online shopper personally." I tell her. "And I love a bargain."

"Speaking of shopping. Have you registered for gifts? Anything you want in particular?" She asks, as she randomly chooses a clutch purse to look at.

"No gifts. We don't need anything." I admit.

"Well, I'll think of something." She states, smugly.

"Oh, you have an idea already?" I ask, interested.

"Maybe." She states evasively. "I have my best guys on it."

I smile. "Would that be one of the devils?"

She nods. "Both in fact. We'll see if they can follow basic instructions." She states, by the sound of it she doesn't hold on to much hope.

"Well, they have some time. Even if they do get distracted." I smirk, turning to see Cairo plop down on a leather chair behind his wife who is picking up handbags and turning to see his thoughts on them. He smiles and nods.

"You're really getting a solid family, Charlie. They'll take care of you for the rest of their lives." She says, turning back to me.

I nod in agreement, "I got lucky."

She tilts her head and looks me straight in the eye. "So did they."

I smile at her. "Think so?"

She shakes her head. "I know so. Not a lot of women could handle Braxton. You have him wrapped around your finger." She looks a little too happy about the last part. "Its so fun to see." She admits, her eyes bright and mischievous.

I laugh and nod towards the older Greco's. "Kinda like that?" I ask. She turns to see Cairo standing up to walk to the register as they box up two handbags that I am sure are worth a fortune.

"Ugh, she could teach us so much." Sam says, in awe.

I nod adamantly, "She's a wizard."

"Next stop-stationery. We need notebooks. Both of us need to start taking this seriously." She jokes and we laugh together as we join them at the counter.