Too Polite

I hardly notice him at first. I'm totally lost in my book. I'm vaguely aware of someone piling their things into an empty machine but I don't look up until the stranger stands right in front of me. He's staring at me with this fixed smile. It's kind of unnerving.

"Can I help you?" I ask. I'm always polite. I can't help myself.

His rictus grin widens alarmingly. "Why yes. How kind. Would you please watch my washing for me?" He points to a machine one over from mine.

I shrug. "Sure, but I have to go when mine's dry."

"Of course." He rubs his hands together smarmily. I'm getting that creep vibe. I hope he's not intending to watch his washing with me. I heave a relieved sigh when he thanks me and disappears through the front door.

I'm back to my book in a heartbeat. Chaol was just about to kiss Celaena, I'm sure of it. He's looking at her intently. His hand is twined in her hair. Jeepers! Be still, my beating heart.

Except that's not my heart. Something is thumping in one of the machines. I set my book down and stand with a groan. I put my ear to my machine. Nope. I cast a suspicious glance toward Mr. Creepy's machine. Yep. There's the problem.

I can't read with something thumping around in there. It's not a soft or regular thumping. It's muffled, then loud and highly erratic.  I crouch, trying to see through suds, various socks and sleeves. I'm betting it's a shoe. The object hits the washer's barrel and the thump shakes the whole machine. What the hell is it? 

My machine shudders to a stop. I transfer my damp clothes into a dryer and set it running. I watch the creep's machine but the thumpy thing never gets near the washer window. I try reading but the racket is ruining the mood. So I wait, but not for my dryer anymore. I'm waiting for his machine to finish so I can see what's in it.

The machine finally beeps. I get up, slipping my phone into my pocket, and open the washer door. I'm almost disappointed when my searching fingers find the predictable rubbery heel. It's a man's business shoe. It's really heavy. I look inside. There's a foot in there. A naked, severed foot. I scream and drop it on the floor.

That's when the laundromat door hisses open. It's him. He's grinning and wheezing. It takes me some time to realise he's laughing.

"Priceless," he splutters, collapsing onto a seat. I make a dash for the door. He snags my wrist and stops me mid-flight. Icy eyes glitter at me and that smile creeps further and further up his cheeks. He nods toward my feet. "Are they clean?"

"Yes," I whisper. 

He nods toward my dryer. "I'll watch it for you."

"Thanks," I whisper.

He releases me. 

I hesitate. "I'm not coming back, okay?" 

His smile widens.