Chapter 16

“Where have you been?” he asked as soon as I opened the door.

What’s up with him?

He is more cautious than I am.

He looked at me intently and I just stare at him blankly.

“I need some fresh air.” I answered and went straight to the kitchen.

I noticed that he followed me but I didn’t turn around to face him.

“I warned you already.” He began. His voice is full of authority. I just shrugged and took a box of milk from the fridge.

“I know. A lot of time, ever since we got here.” I answered.

I think we switched places. Ever since we left my condo and moved to a quieter place and I think safe. He started acting different.

I think he really got threatened. He is acting more like me.

“And why aren’t you listening?” he raises his voice.

I raise both of my hands as a sign of surrender.

“Why don’t we just go back to the US, everything is simplier there?” I asked him.

He sighs and shifted his gaze to the other direction.

“I won’t go back there.” He answered quickly. I sigh. For the past few days I’ve been trying to convince him. But he doesn’t want to.

Seriously, his life is already in danger but still he refuses for a wonderful and a smart decision?

What’s the matter with this guy anyway?

“Why?” I asked him.

“I haven’t said goodbye to her. I promised her something.” He answered in a low voice.

“Who?” I asked.

He took a deep breath and looked at the windows. “Chelsea.”

 I tried not to laugh at him because he seems serious.

I can see his lips forming into a slight smile everytime he mentions her name.

I can’t find anything special about her.

“Do you really have to say goodbye?” I asked him. He turn to face me. His eyes pleading. It’s quite obvious that he misses her. But as far as I can see, Chelsea doesn’t mind his absence.

I don’t even have to mention about the incident few days ago. If I do, I think he’ll rush back to town and the entire cover up will be a total mess.

“I have to.” He murmured. He brush his fingers in his hair and took deep breaths in.

He sounded frustrated.

“But I can’t risk my life just to talk to her, I know that they’ll be looking for me.” He added after a long silent.

Good.

Good thing he clarified it. He misses Chelsea but at the same time he couldn’t go back to the city because he is afraid that someone will shot him dead on the street.

Great.

“Why don’t you call her?” I suggested.

“No phone calls remember?” he reminded me. I just nod and went back to the living room leaving him in the kitchen.

Poor guy.

I definitely pity him. He have everything in the world but at the same time couldn’t enjoy it because of threats in his life and to his family. I knew it good to be a nobody.