Chapter two

No, it's not possible, not me...

I look around, that's not my place, it doesn't look like my house or my town.

I curl up in a ball, trying to keep calm. When I'm done, I walk confidently through the village.

There's a bunch of teenagers grouped around a woman, who's wearing a short leopard top, and a skirt, short as well. She's holding the well-known Ax, the one that's used to kill the players who die : she's the Monitor.

"You're here, finally ! she says, not even looking at me. Take a sit and be discreet."

I sit next to a girl who's looking away. When I see her face, I realise it's Eva.

I try not to look disturbed, with my head up. While the Monitor explains the rules, I look at the players. I don't know most of them, but except Eva, there are three other faces I recognise : Arslan's, Bryan's and Alice's.

"The first Night of Talk will take place in one week ! Until then, have fun !"

Smoke appears and the Monitor vanishes. Eva was about to say something but I don't let her : I go and see Arslan, who's taking me in his arms. I reject him.

"We can't stay friends, I coldly say. If you die, or if we're in different teams and i have to kill you, I won't withstand it."

Bryan looks at me in the eyes and Arslan says :

"What if we're in the same team ?

- No one knows who's in his own team except for the werewolves and the Traitors. And you might die anyways.

- We have one week to party and say goodbye. After that, no more sympathy between us," Bryan says.

Alice bursts into tears and takes Bryan in her arms. He hugs her tight and looks at me.

"You should apologise to Eva. If she dies, you'll have no regrets.

- You impress me. Yesterday you were just a shy boy and today..."

He looks away, blushing. I turn to Eva and notice everybody is around her, joking with her, and she's laughing.

Her eyes meet mine and I read hate in hers.

Music starts playing and tables full of food appear, coming from the floor, as well as a box filled with clothes.

Bryan and I are walking into the woods.

"Alice is my cousin.

- Why are you telling me this ?

- I-If you thought she was my girlfriend ... N-no, she's not my girlfriend... "

I turn to him, smiling.

"You're having a hard time talking again."

He blushes and looks away once more.

"I-I can't help it...

- Am I that scary ?

- No ! I bet you couldn't hurt anyone even if you wanted to !

- Ey !" I say, laughing.

Arslan is calling us, telling us to come back. Bryan scratches his head.

We run to the village.

Arslan is wearing a white suit with black tie and shoes that suit him very well.

"How do I look ?

- Amazing !" I laugh.

He winks at me and Alice shows up, wearing a silvery dress, white gloves and black high heels.