Flowers & Gardening

The spring leaves were in high spirits after the early showers; it had almost seemed like the start of the season would be a dry one until the rain had trickled through into their small pavilion. The previous year had a few cases of snow into May, and Darius hoped hard the chances of another cold spring would be nonexistent this time. Thus far, each day had been warmed at, at least, seventy-degrees Fahrenheit. Maybe his wish would be granted.

Brushing a finger against the stalk twined around a wooden pole, Darius glanced farther down the yard where Philip and Michelle were weeding some of the unruly spring children from the garden. They piled them up in a nice stack alongside the leaves Philip raked. They had been together a lot more as of late, Darius had noticed. Michelle fanned away most of his interrogation, but he had a feeling it had a little something to do with the fact May was on the horizon. As far as Darius had heard from Philip, he'd found a couple of neighborhoods forty to forty-five minutes away from the family house. Nothing had developed just yet, but his mastery of philosophy wasn't slowing down anytime soon.

Movement in his periphery drew Darius' to Nicholas, who leaned off one of the edges of the flowerbed. A while ago he'd said he'd wanted to take a short reprieve and eat. They'd been adding soil and water for the past hour. Darius had it easier on Nick by giving him the seeds instead of the trowel, yet even that had apparently tuckered out the borrower. Tuckered him out so much he heard what sounded like a lullaby coming from Nick's little corner. He was tempted to douse Nick with his watering can, but getting his hands wet carrying him inside would have done no favor for himself.

He'd noticed the improvements in Nicholas' talents and sight-reading, so he supposed he wasn't able to blame his focus; Nick claimed he had a few musical projects written halfway down--projects he was stubborn in keeping a surprise from Darius. Before he'd become Nick's teacher, Darius had learned Nick had a rare gift: perfect pitch. A good ear meant he heard notes that Darius did not and was able to emulate them into a new melody or tune. Nick may have borrowed songs from other artists he enjoyed, but when he had no imitation, he only had his own inspiration. It was what he hummed and memorized yet wasn't able to translate onto paper like he could with his strings. He'd lost many infantile melodies that way. That was why he'd needed Darius.

Darius set down his watering can, paying attention to his sleeves that he rolled down his forearm. "How's that ham and cheese treating ya?" he asked.

The strum of the guitar halted immediately. "It's..good," Nick replied. He cleared his throat. "I get what you mean about junk food tasting better on a warm day outside. After work."

"It must be so good because I can hear it all the way from here."

Nicholas sheepishly rubbed the back of his head and laughed. "Sorry. I promise I'll help you plant the rest in a minute. I really was taking a breather."

"It's fine, I'm just messing with you." Turning, Darius sat down beside him. He no longer felt much worry when it came to being this close, where even a shift of movement might have knocked Nicholas off balance. "New song you're working on?"

Nick's smile lost its shyness then. "It's pretty rough, but yeah! It's been a long time since I've come out here to do this. Without being afraid of being seen at least, you know? The only time that's best for me to think is when it's warm, but that's when everyone else comes out too. And the cold really doesn't give me many ideas like summer and fall."

"I feel like you'd appreciate the beach, or maybe a park, if you're trying to find your muse. Here in the yard certainly isn't your best place."

"I've got plenty here. I mean, look at your garden. Your backyard is the same thing to me."