Chapter Two

Again I doubted the righteousness of my offer when Grace said goodbye to her father at the docks. She was teary but attempting to appear strong and held together. Every few minutes she would think of something else to say to him. "Remember to visit with Mrs. Lancome at least once per week and see to it that she has someone to help her to church on Sundays."

"I won't forget." Mr. Ryan smiled though it was clear he felt no happiness at all.

"And remember to take your tonic Dr. Patterson prescribed—"

The man nodded.

"I know you don't like it, but I will be very cross to find you have not been taking it. It is important."

He continued to nod.

"And for goodness sake, be sure to wear your coat on cold or rainy days."

He laughed a little. "I can take care of m'self you know."

"And remember to speak to Aiden if you need help with the shop. I know he's a Catholic, but he could use the money and he's a hard worker."

This went on for some time before both of them were crying. Mr. Ryan cleared his throat and set his face firmly. He gave my wife three letters. "This one is t' open when ye get to where yer going, when ye step on land again. This one is for when ye find yer new home. And this one... save this fer a day when ye need to hear from me, ye'll know when the time is right." He also tried to give her some money, but she refused, and his voice became stern. "Grace, I'll not have ye disobey me. Take it."

I felt great guilt for not thinking of bringing something to give to Mr. Ryan. They hugged once more, and Grace whispered a prayer with him, asking the Lord to keep their hearts close even though their bodies would be far apart.

"Go on now, don't let the boat leave without ye's."

Mr. Ryan looked at me. He spoke no words, but I knew what he was saying nonetheless. He had given me the thing most precious to him in the world, and he begged me to keep her safe. I nodded in understanding.

And so we boarded the ship. The SS Arlene. Grace stood on deck waving to her father, crying as we pulled further and further from shore until his image could not be separated from that of the city. She stayed long after he was out of sight, watching Ireland herself disappear from view.

I stood beside her as this happened. I thought about saying what she had said to me only a few days earlier—about Ireland staying right where she was and waiting for us—but I thought better of it as Grace was too deep in her sadness, and the thing she mourned most was likely her father, not the land and he would not be waiting for her for very long.

Finally, she had no tears left and whichever way we looked there was only ocean to be seen. I could think of nothing to say to console her so I said, "Let us find our room so we can put everything down." Though most of our possessions had been stowed in a locked room below deck, the things we would need while at sea were in our arms still. She gave the smallest nod and followed me to the room indicated on our ticket.

The room was by no means grand, but it would serve. When our things were set, we stood awkwardly for many moments. I realized that though I had read a great deal about marriage in my studies as it is something described in considerable detail in the Bible, it was another thing entirely to be married. To have a wife standing before me.

Grace stumbled over her words a little as she began to speak. "I cou— would you— should I see to some tea?" She had difficulty looking me in the eye as she spoke.

I did not particularly feel like tea, but I wanted her to be comfortable, and also the prospect of holding the cup and therefore having something to do with my hands was welcome. "Uh, yes, tea would be..." I cleared my throat. "Tea would be appreciated."