Part 19

When Darcy had been unable to dissuade Charles from his plan to call at Longbourn, he switched his strategy to try to excuse himself from accompanying him. That was still more unsuccessful, and every argument he offered was deflected with an easy counter. After two or three such jousts, Darcy surrendered, hanging his head and accepting his fate. He realised, too late, that Caroline, who had witnessed their whole exchange, was looking at him curiously. She evidently wondered what it was that made Darcy quite so opposed to a visit to their near neighbours. When Charles excused himself to check the carriage, which task was wholly unnecessary but nonetheless offered Charles some vent for his energy, Caroline slipped across the floor of the parlour and into a chair close to Darcy.

"I see we are of a like mind," she murmured, her lips curving into a knowing smile.

Darcy, who grew irritated when people claimed to know him, particularly when those people were named Caroline Bingley, dropped his gaze.

"Of a like mind?" he queried, with a frown. "How so?"

"You share my opinion of the Bennets," Caroline said, undeterred by his scowl. "I only met them briefly, but I must say in the time it took Charles to fall head over heels in love with the whole wretched family, I formed a different opinion." Her smile grew weary. "They are pleasant enough folk, but so very countrified. Not exactly the type of company we are used to keeping."

Darcy was unsure if the we to whom Caroline referred was her and her brother, her and Darcy, or simply the royal "we" applied to her own self.

He said nothing, wishing to end the conversation and feeling, fleetingly, that he might actually quite like to visit Longbourn if it would only free him from Caroline's clutches for an hour. This was enough to tug his lips up in a wry smile, which Caroline saw and appropriated for her own ends.

"I knew you were too polite to make mention of it aloud, Mr Darcy!" She sighed, theatrically clasping her hands together beneath her chin. "Still, we must go and call on them and be polite, at least." She bit her lip, as if tempted to say more, but Darcy, who was not the most receptive audience when either Caroline's opinion or gossip were concerned, did not encourage her. Before she could summon courage enough to speak uninvited, the door opened and Charles strolled back in.

"What are you both still doing sitting around? We must take our leave if we wish to arrive at Longbourn while the weather holds!"

"Charles," Caroline grumbled. "You make it sound as if we were embarking on some arduous quest, and not a short journey of but a few miles."

"You would prefer to walk than to take the carriage, then, Caro, dear?" Bingley retorted, his eyes twinkling with merriment. Caroline shot him a murderous look by way of retort but did, obediently, rise from her seat and go to gather her belongings, promising to be but a moment or two longer.

Darcy was ready but for his hat and coat, both of which would be presented to him on their way out of the door, but not wanting to disappoint his friend he stood, showing willing.

"Are you expected at Longbourn, Charles?" he asked, gently. "Did you inform them that we would be calling?"

"No," Charles admitted, his smile falling just a fraction. "But Mr Bennet did say to come. And Mrs Bennet, too, made me swear I would not delay in calling on them at home. You don't think they will mind, do you?"

Here was the opportunity Darcy had hoped for, a chance to separate Charles from his purpose and suggest that the Bennet's might indeed mind, and oughtn't they be better served by cancelling today's visit and scheduling it for another, later date. Yet he found at that moment that he could not do it. He could not bear to see the look of disappointment on his friend's easy, open face. He clamped a hand on his shoulder in encouragement and shook his head.

"I shouldn't think they shall mind it at all. Now, come along, or do you wish for Caroline to lecture us both for delaying her?"

Chuckling, Charles fell into step beside him and the two gentlemen made their way towards the door, where the Netherfield carriage was waiting to convey them the short distance to Longbourn.

Darcy could not help but feel a strange flicker of interest at seeing Elizabeth's home for the first time. She had described it to him, once, that first afternoon they had spent touring the museum. What had she said? Their home was comfortable, yet always rendered a chaotic due to her having four lively sisters and a Mama who did not understand anybody's need for quiet. He braced his hands against his knees. He had met Mrs Bennet only briefly at the assembly and felt a strange jolt that in some alternate future, she might have been his mother-in-law. He shuddered, unnerved by the picture. In all the years he had returned to Elizabeth, pictured her by his side, his wife and mistress of Pemberley, sister to Georgiana, he had never imagined himself being swept into another family. And such a family! He shuddered again, recalling the giddy squeals that had emanated from the two youngest Bennet sisters. He ought to have felt relief, that in avoiding Elizabeth he had also avoided her family, but instead, he felt a strange, wistful sort of disappointment.

"Do not look so thunderous, Darcy," Bingley remarked, kicking him across the centre of the carriage. "Anyone would think you were facing the guillotine and not merely making a social call."

Darcy looked up at him, swiftly reorganising his expression into some vague approximation of a smile. Caroline fixed him with a sympathetic expression that telegraphed forbearance, and the carriage lurched to a stop. Drawing one last breath, Darcy climbed down and followed his friends across the threshold of a house that had, before now, only existed in his imagination.