Wattpad Original
There are 2 more free parts

Chapter 6: For Humanity

"Welcome to ISN, youngling."

The woman smiled at her, her gaze ever calculating and Avielle felt like she was under a microscope the way the older woman observed her. The woman's eyes showed wisdom and the way she carried herself spoke volumes of her status.

Avielle smiled tightly, giving the older woman a slight nod. "You must be Dr. Ide."

Instead of giving an answer, the woman walked to her side, admiring the painting together with the young Sefir. Finally, she spoke.

"Mischa was our general during the war, not that there was a specific chain of command. She hated the nickname, even," the older woman chuckled, her dainty features lighting up. Avielle curiously racked her brain for any memories that might have the older woman in it. Dr. Ide noticed the furrow in Avielle's forehead and gave her another smile, albeit a little melancholic.

"I'm afraid I wasn't fighting in the frontlines during the war, Avielle," the woman said, seemingly knowing where Avielle's thoughts were going. "As fearsome as pilosophres are in their mental conquests, we're quite useless in combat. I was in the headquarters, devising strategies and plotting complex raids."

Avielle nodded, apologizing quietly for possibly offending the doctor. Dr. Ide shook it off lightly, staring at the general's portrait once more.

"We all looked up to her. She was the bravest, the strongest, and the most fearsome. And then, they destroyed her."

The venom dripping from each of her words didn't escape Avielle, but she shared the same burning hate for their enemy. That's the whole reason she is what she is, and the whole reason they were where they were.

"We ran a couple of tests while you were out to trace your genetic lineage and your possible natural affinity. I know you must have a lot of questions, youngling. But I'm going to start by revealing the fact that Mischa was your mother."

If Avielle was surprised by the revelation, the older woman didn't know. The expression on the younger Sefir's face was unreadable. Avielle, for the most part almost saw it coming. She had her ancestor's memories after all.

But she has come to accept that whatever her past is, no matter how much pain it causes her, it all doesn't matter. She can't keep on clinging to and dwelling on the past. She has to use her history and painful memories for ammunition; she has to mold it and fasten it into a weapon strong enough to destroy her enemies. All of her enemies. The supernaturals around her keep expecting her to break down and feel, but she's come so far. No amount of pain is going to break her again.

Dr. Ide took note of the young Sefir's attempt to dissociate herself from her past. And the older woman acknowledged it, having read through all of Avielle's files. The young woman had a difficult history. Growing up and being passed around from home to home, suffering several accounts of abuse before running away. And this was before all the responsibility of a coming war befell on her shoulders.

"You didn't tell the trainee what I am," Avielle continued, looking at the older pilosophre.

Dr. Ide nodded, motioning for Avielle to sit down before they continued their chat. The young Sefir sat herself down comfortably on the couch while the doctor took the lounge chair opposite her.

"I figured not revealing your status will give you sometime to adjust before garnering unwanted attention. Don't get me wrong, we don't plan on hiding who you are for long, but this way will allow you to establish camaraderie with fellow trainees without the intimidation."

"But won't they recognize me?"

"Our trainees are composed largely of a more...inexperienced bunch, mostly born after the war. They haven't developed enough sensibilities to instinctively tell one supernatural from another," Dr. Ide looked at her pointedly. "It will still be your call, but I highly suggest you settle down first."