100

FEATURE

The Voice: A Road to a New Journey

By: Magenta Lizares

As his feet led him towards the center of the stage, cheers from his family filled the backstage. He gripped his microphone tightly and held it slightly further and above his lip level, pointing downward. His throaty voice was heard as soon as the music started. Despite his nervousness, he carried out every tune with precision, and enjoyed himself while doing so as if he owned the stage. Cheers and yells from the crowd and the four judges were heard all over the venue after he hit the last note.

Lorenzo Asistio, a grade 10 student from Richmond Academy carried the name of his hometown in a prestigious singing competition, The Voice Teens. He shared his talent of singing in the blind auditions.

"I felt honored to be one of many aspiring singers that made it to the blind auditions. Of course, I also felt nervous onstage, because of the pressure brought by the crowd. I was also afraid of making a mistake because it is aired on the National Television." he said in an interview.

The young artist claimed his singing voice to be in an innate talent. As he grew up in a family of musicians, they inspired him to pursue singing.

"Singing is my passion. I sing for my family. I also sing for someone who became a reason why I need to share this talent." he said with a smile.

Asistio is also a basketball player of his school. He needed to balance his passion, his sport, and his education altogether.

"It all requires one thing, which is determination. As long as you focus on your goal, which is to be successful in whatever you're doing, you can do anything. You need to fight with a game face on." he added.

As this is his first time joining a singing competition, he also gained supporters. Most are teenagers who were charmed by his voice and his looks.

"Joining this competition felt new to me. It is overwhelming to have fans. I thank them for their support. They are also with me in my singing adventure."

For Asistio, this new journey is quite tough. He did not know where it leads to, but one thing is for certain; it is a wonderful adventure.