1.1 - meeting the green arrow

chapter one
meeting the green arrow

Placing my empty coffee cup in the rubbish bin I turn around and walk across the room to my desk

Placing my empty coffee cup in the rubbish bin I turn around and walk across the room to my desk. Lighting flashes across the sky lighting it up for a moment before Star City is set back into darkness. I place all the sheets of paper into a neat pile before placing a paper wight on top. I sigh before sitting down watching a few of my other colleagues leaving for the night. I smile as Karla Martin passes me on her way to the elevator. I grab my laptop and books and place them into my bag before heaving my bag over my shoulder. I shut the window ceasing the sound of rainfall.

"Good night Marko!" I state waving goodbye to one of my fellow colleague.

"See you tomorrow!" He calls back over his mountain of paperwork. I smile to myself before moving into the elevator. The music quietly plays as I take out my phone checking the time. 10:20. Yeah I have enough time for a quick food run. Exiting the building I shield my straightened hair from the rain with my hand as I run across the road to the restaurant across from my building. The bell sings as I enter the small store.

"Hi what can I get you?" I look over the counter to see a friendly girl smiling, younger then me. I smile before replying.

<>

I turn down the street leading to my apartment placing a burger wrapper in the nearby dumpster, the rain water on the concrete slowly evaporating. I know it's not the best way to go but it's a shortcut. I place my hands in my pockets as I move my bag strap from my shoulder and secure it around my torso.

"Where are you going?" I hear a male voice question from behind me. I quickly turn around and immediately know he's not friendly. "Hey I'm talking to you." I stop walking but don't turn around. I feel him walk up to me.

"You messed with the wrong woman." I quickly punch him in the face. He stumbles back as I punch him again. A routine I have perfected over the years. In a matter of moments he is knocked out cold. I sigh shaking out my hands. I know there will be bruises tomorrow from where he managed to contact me and cuts on my knuckles. I hear a clang of metal causing me to look up. There stood the Green Arrow. The way he stood, held himself cause me to shiver. I open my mouth to speak but no words come to mind. He watches me for a few moments, our eyes connecting, before he runs away. I let out an unsettled breath I didn't know I was holding in. I look around confused. He's completely gone. I quickly cross my jacket around my figure before running home hopping not to run into anyone else tonight.