Chapter 5: Taron

Taron

I could barely sleep. I sat up and rubbed my eyes before I decided to go to the kitchen. I poured myself a glass of water and downed it in one go and looked around.

Memories flooded my brain and I closed my eyes on exhale.

I missed her. How would I ever get over her?

I checked my calendar for the next few days and scrunched my eyes shut when I looked at the appointment tomorrow. Or rather today, because it was already past midnight.

"Pick out floral arrangements w/ Morgan"

My taste was awful when it came to flowers, but since Evan had to work until the late morning, I would accompany Morgan again. And I hated to admit that it was the highlight of my week.

I was wondering why Evan had been so busy with work recently. I knew he had never been so happy but something felt off to me. I knew I would make time for my fiancée, no matter what. If I ever had one, that was.

"Hi" the way she smiled at me had my heart leaping.

"Morgan" I smiled back at her and pulled her into a hug.

I didn't even know what hit me, but I hugged all of my family and, well, she was a part of my family. Just not as I had imagined she could be.

Her body felt good against mine, almost too good and she pulled away as if I had burned her.

I frowned.

"Thanks for coming" she grabbed her handbag from the coat check.

"Of course" I gulped, trying not to pay attention to her black dress riding up as she reached for it.

We took my car to the floral store on the other end of Aber and I didn't really know what to say. I focused on the roads I knew all too well and the situation got more and more tense with any minute.

"How's Evan?" I asked eventually.

Morgan sighed "They're understaffed. I can't believe they let him work long hours like that"

I glanced over to her. I could imagine she felt... lonely?

Surely not as lonely as I felt.

"I've never seen him so busy before" I said "But I've also never seen him so happy"

"Really?" Morgan's face lit up.

I smiled over at her before I focused on the left turn "Yes. I mean you know him better than I do"

"Yeah, I love him" she said quietly "But –"

We arrived and I parked the car. She glanced at me as we unbuckled our seats belt.

I waited for her to complete her sentence but she never did.

"Do we want to go inside?" she asked.

"Sure" I smiled.

I wondered what she had on her chest. And why she didn't tell me about it.

We took a stroll looking through the huge range of outdoor flowers and I had no clue what to look for. I glanced over to Morgan who seemed deep in thought.

"This looks beautiful" I said, for a lack of something else to say, and pointed to one of the green bushes.

Urgh, I was stupid.

"Yeah" Morgan smiled half-heartedly before her face dropped "It reminds me of home"

Then I remembered she had never told me why she moved. Had she been unhappy? Had something happened?