Chapter 3

As the sun streamed through the dining room window during breakfast, Sidney was engrossed in the London newspaper while Charlotte scrutinized the house plans that she was to go over again with Mr. Robinson. "How I long to have James here to help with this house project," Charlotte said more to herself than to Sidney.

Sidney lowered his newspaper and with raised brows, looked to Charlotte with a question. "Charlotte, are you not pleased with Mr. Robinson's oversight of our home building?"

"Yes, I am pleased and he is able I will grant you that. It is just that some of the fine points that James instinctively understood with the building of Waterloo Crescent are lost on him and I spend a good deal of time instructing and explaining. I find it a bit taxing that is all," Charlotte said laying aside her plans. Looking up, she broke into a warm smile for her husband. "Not to worry. It shall come out right in the end."

Sidney folded his newspaper and looked to Charlotte, gauging her mood. He longed to unburden himself regarding the meeting with Eliza but did not want to upset Charlotte given how much work she was facing that day. However, he determined that no further time should pass before this was told.

Sidney measured his words with calm and caution. "Charlotte, while I was in London last week I had an unfortunate chance meeting with Eliza, now Lady McTaggart."

Charlotte looked steadily at Sidney unable to breathe for a few moments. "How did that happen? She is now in London, not Scotland?" she said with a slight sharpness to her words.

"I was ambushed by her outside our London home. It was a brief encounter and I made sure she knew her presence in our lives was not only unwelcome but would be met by my extreme ire. Not to worry, dear Charlotte. I sent her away in no uncertain terms. She can never, ever come between us again. As for her being in London, I did not ask, nor did I care about her residence."

Seeing Charlotte's mood darken Sidney rose from the table and went to pull Charlotte into an embrace. "There is nothing to fear from her. I thought you should know that I saw her. You know how gossip can travel. I spoke rather sharply and loudly-as you know I can do when upset-and someone may have heard and thinking it a service, relay it to you. That is all. I wanted to be the one to tell you."

"After her marriage to her rich and titled gentleman it is odd, is it not, that she would make contact with you? You say you were ambushed-you believe the meeting was deliberate? I fear we may not have peace yet," Charlotte said with tears beginning to pool in her eyes.

Sidney brushed her tears away, held her more closely, and told her again that there is nothing to be concerned about. "Say you will dismiss this, as I have. She is no threat to us or our happiness." Sidney said tenderly.

After a long embrace, Charlotte breathed a sigh, regained her poise and pulled away from Sidney, smiling to try and relieve him of the stress of having told her. "Well, dear husband, if you are sure we have nothing further to expect from her, I will release it and concentrate on my day." As Charlotte walked away, she turned back to Sidney and said with resolve in her voice, "Thank you for telling me. I love that you trust me with this, but please be certain... I hope to never hear her name again."

Gathering her bonnet and wrap, she kissed him gently and left to meet again with Mr. Robinson.

Sidney watched after her as she left, and in that moment knew that no further hurt should be visited upon Charlotte at the hand of Eliza-not even the mention of her name.

Sidney, relieved to have shared the burden he had held since the unfortunate meeting, poured himself another cup of tea and although he intended to return to his newspaper, he found his thoughts could not be quieted, so he made preparations to leave. He intended to pay a visit to his brother Tom and go over any financial concerns with the completion of Waterloo Crescent. Tom continued to foolishly add elaborate details although the project was completed according to the plans.

***

"Lady Susan!" Charlotte beamed as she met her dear friend walking along the street near her summer home. "I had not heard you were in Sanditon yet this season," she said while embracing the woman responsible for bringing Charlotte back to Sanditon.

"Charlotte, my dear girl, you look very well! I just arrived this morning and was longing to see you." Lady Susan said with a warm smile. "Do you have time to come for tea this afternoon? I would enjoy a good conversation and hear your news."

"I do have a meeting right away with Mr. Robinson who is foreman on our home building project, but certainly this afternoon would be lovely. I will look forward to it!" Charlotte said while turning toward the cliffs. Charlotte, ever the "wild wind of a girl" her father aptly named her, preferred to walk from the town of Sanditon along the beach and up the cliffs to her future home. It was invigorating and lifted her spirits. As she spread the plans and details before Mr. Robinson and his talented crew of craftsmen, she was able to dismiss from her mind the conversation she and Sidney had that morning.

"I believe we are on schedule to complete your home by December, Mrs. Parker," Mr. Robinson said with a broad smile. "It is coming along well, and your family should be able to be in residence by Christmas."

"Thank you. It is my hope to be moved before the weather becomes too contrary. The building is looking lovely, I must say," Charlotte said with a light in her eyes that had been extinguished by the morning's revealing conversation.

"I will let you get back to your crew. Have a good day, Mr. Robinson. Please let either Mr. Parker or me know if you are in need of anything."

As Charlotte was gathering up plans and preparing to leave, Mr. Robinson asked, "Oh, Mrs. Parker, do you have news of James Stringer? I would enjoy seeing him when next in Sanditon."

"We are waiting to hear if James and Alison will be here for the regatta, and it is our hope to see them soon. I will certainly let James know you would enjoy a conversation with him when he is here," Charlotte said as she turned to descend the cliffs again, looking forward to her tea with Lady Susan.

***

It was the height of comfort to be back in Lady Susan's home after the time Charlotte spent there before her marriage to Sidney. The two friends exchanged the typical news of Sanditon and the latest fashion of London, enjoying a visit that had been part of their daily lives and was greatly missed with Susan living in London most of the year and Charlotte in Sanditon.

"It was shocking to hear her name mentioned again. I was barely able to breathe." Charlotte said as she relaxed with Lady Susan, looking intently into her teacup.

"I dare say she is again on the prowl, dear girl," Lady Susan said with a serious tone. "However, if Sidney dispatched her the way you described, I cannot imagine she would try again to weasel her way back into his life. No one could be that devious."

"I believe Sidney-our love does not entertain any secrets or limits-and if he has told me to release it, that I shall do. I cannot let this one unfortunate occurrence cloud our joy," Charlotte said with resolve.

With a cheerful smile Lady Susan said, "That's the Charlotte I know and appreciate. Your love is what matters, is it not?"

"Of course I trust him completely. It was just a bit unsettling this morning that is all." Charlotte said as she laid her teacup on the table.

"Now that you are here for the season, I shall spend many afternoons in your company and we will again take walks by the sea and share all our news," Charlotte said with a warm smile as she gathered her bonnet to leave. "You must accompany me to our house sometime-it is beginning to look like the plans I drew ages ago!"

"One more thing, Charlotte, please forgive me if I am being too bold, but have you any news of children?" Lady Susan asked as she escorted Charlotte to the door.

"Unfortunately, there is no news for us. We will wait for the joy of children the way we waited for our joy of marriage. That is what Sidney tells me," Charlotte said with a smile. Lady Susan perceptively saw the disappointment in Charlotte's eyes.

"Indeed you will, Charlotte, the joy of children will be yours and your new home will be overrun with little feet! And, I am never wrong about this, also." She watched with affection as Charlotte made her way along the street leading to the coach that would take her home.