soulmates

4 years after Renesmee was born she reached puberty. For a stranger seeing her walking around the mall, she was just a fifteen-year-old accompanied by her slightly older boyfriend - Jacob, still looking like he was barely 18. The truth was that she was not just a teen and Jacob was actually her best friend, who couldn't stop complaining about being in a mall for "back-to-school" clothes, saying every few minutes "You're homeschooled! Why do you need new clothes?" but Alice's taste for clothes had rubbed off on her for Jacob's and Bella's horror. But he loved her and her company more than anything in this world so he just followed her around happily, even if he was saying otherwise.

The Cullen family and Jacob had just came back from their annual trip to Brazil, to pay a visit to Zafrina and after so much time spent in the rainforest (and a few days in a sunny beach in Rio de Janeiro, before taking a plane home) Jacob thought it was anti-climatic to be in a shopping mall in Seattle, but was content to be by Nessie's side wherever it is... he just kind of wishes it was in a forest.

"Jake, stop complaining. I just want some clothes before I grow out of them" she pouted "Please?" he knew he couldn't say no to that. She knew it too.

"Okay. Of course." he kept walking "It's not fair you know?" she looked at him, puzzled. He continued "the pouting... I would do anything for you, you don't need to do that. It's like you're kicking a dead man"

"That's morbid, are you okay? It's not like you to say that" they stared at each other 

"That's like dad"

"That's like your dad," they said at the same time and smiled at each other, sharing that joke through their eyes "speaking of the devil, he might be wondering where we are, I told him we would be back by noon so we could go hunting together" Renesmee rolled her eyes in a subtle, barely-there, movement "he's fine" she puffed "can we just eat here?"

Renesmee, being a (not at all) normal 15 years old, was having rebel phase, but only for petty small things like curfews or tight schedules - anything other than that she thought she was a little too big to fight about, but she just had a big issue against the clock for some reason. Jacob was sure he knew what that reason was.

"Sure"

One hour later the two of them were sitting in a table at the food court, their empty plates in front of them as they talked absentmindedly about the pack and the upcoming wedding, Sue and Charlie were finally tying the knot next month and everyone was extremely happy for the couple.

"I think it's cute that they found each other at their forty's" Nessie stated, "they had time to grow, to learn to live alone, to experience the world before they finally found their soulmates" she sipped her drink "I mean, I'm really happy that I've had you my whole life, I know we're going to marry each other one day and I wouldn't change it for the world. It works for us. But for them, the time it took makes sense" she let out a happy sigh, looking at nowhere in particular "the fact that mom, uncle Seth and aunt Leah are going to be siblings just shows grandpa and Sue were meant to be, just like you and me. You know?" she looked at him now, both smiling

Jacob was sure he couldn't be happier than at that moment. Nessie was the most important part of his life, he was on this planet because of her and he could be anything she needed. He had been a friend to her mom, a babysitter, a friend, he caught himself being a parent once or twice when she put herself in harm's way, and now she was seeing him as a soulmate, as someone she wants to marry someday. He would never force her into that, in fact, he was prepared to see her date some boys her age, or to even keep Nahuel away from her at some point. But she was his as much as he was hers, the imprint didn't affect her the same way it affected him but she loved him just as much. No one could keep the silly grin off of Jake's face right now. 

So he didn't think about it before he did it, he just went for it

Their first kiss was nothing either of them was prepared for. Fireworks, stomach butterflies, rainbows and stars behind their eyelids wouldn't begin to cover it. At that moment everything fell into place and the crazy things they went through in such a small amount of time made sense. This is where they should be. The kiss probably didn't even last 10 seconds but it felt like a lifetime when their lips separated and their eyes met. The shock in Nessie's eyes couldn't compare to the smile she was exhibiting "where did that come from?" amusement was pouring from her voice, Jake just smiled wider in response.

"I love you" he chanted like she was a goddess 

"I love you too, Jake" they've said it a million times before, and Jake thought this time it would feel heavier on their tongue, not hard or a lie, but he was certain it would mean something bigger now. It didn't. He meant it as much last night while kissing her forehead before he left the Cullen's house, as he did right now. His love for her would never change because it was already as big as it could get when he first laid eyes on her, the only thing that could change was his role in her life and right now she wanted to kiss him, so he kissed her again.

They got home at around 7 pm, and by the look on Bella's face, Jake was a dead man.

"Alice got exciting news, Jake! Apparently you're kissing my teenage daughter?"

Nessie laughed and held his hand tighter. Bella trusted Jacob with Renesmee's life, but she was still a protective mother.