Chapter 7

Chapter 7

Ruby's POV

There was nothing like the feeling of flying. The feeling of adrenaline pumping through your veins as you swing the next punch at the bag. It feels so good.

It had been three days since I last saw Ryder. And that was at his competition. I had to admit, it was getting boring at school without his arrogance and humor. It was like I needed him here as entertainment.

What is going on with me lately?

During lunch, I rode my bike out to Subway to get a sandwich when I heard a scream for help nearby. It sounded like a girl.

I rounded a corner to an alleyway to see a girl about my age cornered by a man. He was trying to kiss her but she refused and he clamped a hand over her mouth to keep from yelling again.

"Hey!" I started to walk to the man. His eyes widened and then looked me up and down shamelessly.

"Let her go," I said, my voice shaking with fear, but also steady with as much confidence as possible.

He chuckled and shook his head. "What're you gonna do about it missy?" he swung for my arms but I ducked away in time and pinned them behind his back.

"Aghhh!" he screeched and then I let go with him tumbling to the pavement. His face was a contorted mixture of confusion and anger.

He lunged at me but I quickly sidestepped, watching amusingly as he ran straight into the wall. When he turned, not only was he mad, but also furious and a little bit deadly looking.

"Hold my sandwich." I said and tossed it to the girl who fumbled with her hands before catching it.

"You shouldn't have done that, missy..." the man raced toward me and before I could do anything, he had me pinned up against the wall.
His yellow teeth showed when he smiled and I could smell his retched, tobacco breath from the close distance. "Well, well, what a beauty you are..." I tried to pry free of his arms but they were pinning me solidly against the brick alley wall.

When his face leaned in slowly inch by inch I turned my face to avoid contact. But right as I was expecting his disgusting lips on mine, a loud thwap was heard from behind him. He yelled in pain and I took the opportunity to lungs at him and kick his stomach repeatedly before he scrambled away.

I looked at the girl who had hit the man with my subway sandwich.

She shrugged. "They don't look deadly, but a footlong's a footlong. And apparently they're packed with 12 inches of knock out bread."

We laughed together and I finally got a good look at her. She had nice auburn colored hair with wisps of a golden yellow in them. She had a set of intelligent eyes that were a light blue and brown.

"I'm Ruby," I stuck out my hand for her to shake and she obligingly took it.

"Ingrid Thatcher. Thank you so much for saving me. Really, it means the world to me."

I smiled and nodded. "You're welcome. I wouldn't let some lunatic get away without a fight."

"Where did you learn how to?" she asked.

"In California, my old home. My dad taught part time and I got really interested. If you want you can come by and-"

She shook her head furiously. "Oh no, I mean, I can't do that. I hate fighting, especially watching it. That's why it took me a while to build up the courage to smack the guy in the head with your sandwich..." she looked down at the smashed lunch in the plastic bag she was carrying. "Sorry about your sandwich." She apologized.