seventeen

It was cold and overcast the next morning. Owls circled around the castle, bearing packages of all different shapes and sizes. Nearly everyone was inside, eating a warm breakfast in the great hall with friends or lounging around in their dorms. Everyone except for Blaise Zabini who, at the present moment, was striding down the Hogwarts lawn in a knit Slytherin sweater, some khaki pants, and a matching silver scarf. He had two large blankets tucked underneath his arms (also green and silver, as he'd pulled them out of the trunk at the end of his bed that morning. 

As he reached the edged of the Black Lake, the bare limbs of the trees surrounding it reflected In its glass-like surface, he spread one blanket out, draping the other over his shoulders. 

If Aurora didn't show up in the next fifteen minutes he would leave and figure out another plan of how to work things out with her. His heart ached a bit at the thought. If his first successful relationship in his entire life was ruined by that git Malfoy, breaking dueling rules at Hogwarts in order to get revenge would be the very least of his concerns.

But just as he basked in the thought of disarming Malfoy with a well-executed Expelliarmus charm, footsteps crunched behind him. He turned around to see Aurora, pink-nosed and looking chilled to the bone. She too, wore a Gryffindor sweater, but was still wearing some sweatpants and sneakers. She plopped down next to Blaise, mumbling a sleepy "morning" as he wrapped some of the Blanket around her, too.

For a few moments, they just sat there, watching the motionless lake, huddled together under the blanket. 

Finally, Blaise broke the silence.

"Look about the Malfoy thing, I'm sorry. I just didn't know what else I could do." He paused, and Aurora turned a little bit to look at him, waiting for him to finish. 

Blaise was looking at the lake still, a sort of darkness in his eyes. "You're the only person I have right now, Aurora. I can't let him hurt you."

Aurora's eyes began to sting, the emotional burning sensation worsened by the cold air. She leaned her head on his shoulder and said quietly, "thank you."

Blaise nodded firmly. Suddenly, he had lost his voice.

"Just promise me you'll never help that shitbag again, no matter the cost," Aurora spoke once more.

Blaise looked down at her. "I promise." Softly, he kissed her forehead, and she leaned up to meet his lips, gently pulling him down to lay on the ground. As they kissed, a sort of warmth spread through them, lessening the biting sensation brought on by the cold winter air. 

As she moved on top of him, Blaise's hands dropped to Aurora's waist, making her feel safe and protected. Aurora only broke their kiss to look into his eyes for a bit, tracing his face slowly before her hand slid down to his neck, drawing little circles along it.

Blaise could see nothing but Aurora's enchanting face and the sky behind it. Compared to the dim gray clouds, she seemed to be glowing, bathed in her own self-made warmth. Blaise realized how truly beautiful she was, like an angel.

He smiled just a little bit, lost in his own thoughts and the moment. She smiled too, collapsing onto him and embracing him in a tight hug.

"By the way," Aurora spoke, lifting herself up to look at Blaise, "How did you get that message on my arm?"

"Pen from Scrivenshafts," Blaise laughed, "got it in second year to write stupid messages on peoples arms as a prank. As a matter of fact..." Blaise trailed off, realization dawning on his face.

"So you were the one that wrote Harry Potter with all those hearts around it on my arm, dammit!" Aurora shouted in fits of laughter.

"I swear, Malfoy made me do it!"

+++

Despite the wonderful moment Blaise and Aurora had shared by the lake, the following week was nothing short of dismal.

Aurora had fallen of her broom at quidditch practice on Monday trying to dodge an angry-looking raven, Tuesday Blaise had received a nasty grade on the charms essay he'd turned in that weekend, the sky poured rain all day on Wednesday, Thursday brought even more rain (meaning quidditch practice was cancelled), and Friday Aurora and Jasmine had been caught by Filch for trying to nab some cookies from the kitchens along with Hufflepuff seventh year Kevin Fischer (who Jasmine had recently made friends with in Advanced Divination).

Possibly worst of all, Aurora and Blaise hadn't really had the chance to see each other for the entire week. Odd hours were spent studying, on the quidditch pitch, spending time with other friends, or, of course, trying to steal food, which is exactly what Aurora, Jasmine, and Kevin were in detention for now. 

Their punishment was to, fittingly, scrub the kitchen floors until they were spotless. This would have been nearly impossible considering the size of the cobblestone lined room if the elves that worked there hadn't kindly offered to pitch in and provide free snacks whenever needed. 

As the three scrubbed the area around the large fireplaces in the very back, Kevin looked up from his hard work a brief moment. He was very tan, and had a charming face accentuated by black hair, eyes, and thick circular glasses. 

"So Aurora," he started. "Hear you and that Zabini kid are a thing. Talk of the town in our common room," he laughed.

Aurora chuckled, unbothered that other students were finding out about her and Blaise. To be honest, she was quite proud to be dating Blaise Zabini. "Yeah, we are, actually," she smiled.

"Blaise takes up all her time these days," Jasmine said playfully, though Aurora knew that what she said was true. Even when she was around others, Aurora couldn't help but think about the way he felt in her arms by the lake. 

"Not to get to personal, but isn't he friends with Malfoy?" Kevin asked, returning to his scrubbing.

"Was," Aurora answered. "They don't always see eye-to-eye anymore."

"He's funny, that one," Kevin muttered. "Saw him just the other day walk into the room of requirement with a bird in his hand. Very strange, now that I think about it."

Aurora's eyes widened as she mumbled words of agreement to Kevin, but she tried to remain calm. Surely, Malfoy wasn't planning anything big. Surely, Dumbledore would know if something was going on in the castle.

Surely, Blaise hadn't helped set something dangerous into motion.

A/N: been feeling super productive lately, but i'm not quite sure where I want the story to go next! I think jasmine definitely needs more time in the spotlight!!

hope you all are well, thanks for all the support, love you guys!! <3