Chapter 17 - Scales

Once they entered the house Austin carefully placed Amara on the couch before pulling away from her.

He took a deep breath to calm himself before walking to the kitchen to make her some food for when she wakes up. Knowing Jessie they had probably spent most of the day shopping and didn't even stop to eat anything, Austin sighed while shaking his head.

On the other hand, Amara, who was left by herself couldn't help but sulk. Truthfully, she felt a little sad that Austin had pulled away from her, she knew that she had wanted to stay with him longer and even had the urge to remain in the crook of his neck to feel the warmth and euphoria that only he could make her feel.

Slowly she had been changing, not much but the change was definitely present. The most ironic thing about this was that she herself was ignorant to this fact.

She knew that she didn't like it when he was aways from her, although she didn't hate the fact that she spent the day with Jessie, deep down she still felt lonely. She wanted Austin to stick to her like glue, never leading her side.

But of course she was still oblivious to the growing feelings inside her.

.

.

.

The next couple of days their lives followed some sort of routine, they got up at 7am and ate breakfast together before Austin left to go to work.

This meant that these past couple of days, apart from Austin, the person she spent the most time with was Jessie.

Contrarily to the other day Jessie did not drag Amara to the mall and go shopping but instead decided to stay home and laze around. The time they spent together was very relaxing, Jessie spent a lot of time talking to Amara about trivial things while Amara either nodded or gave one word answers which was a improvement to the silence.

Gradually a bond began forming between the two.

Jessie was not as nervous as she was previously which took a lot of weight off her shoulders. After spending time with Amara the strange feelings that welled up within her whenever they were together began to dissipate.

The reason she came up with that explained her behaviour was that Amara was simply to beautiful, and if anyone were to hear this they would undoubtedly agree.

After solving this problem she had even started to think of Amara as a pure and naive younger sister due to the fact that she discovered she was ignorant of her own beauty.

Amara was quickly adapting to her new environment. She had to admit that she was becoming more fascinated with human culture the more her knowledge grew.

She had found these mundane things peculiar, fascinating, and complex which was the reason why she was enamoured by it all.

Her main source of information were attained by watching television, she had watched everything from dramas, to movies, to documentaries and she did it with extreme focus.

Currently, the two of them sat on the couch in front of the t.v. Amara blankly looked at the screen, the only thing that showed she was interested in what was playing was her sparkling eyes.

Jessie who was beside her was frantically texting on her phone, she had a big smile on her face which probably meant that the person on the other side of the phone was Felix. Her nails continuously hit the screen making a rhythmic tapping sound.

On the t.v it was currently playing a romance drama that showed the scene of a man and woman in a tight embrace. The woman was crying tragically as she said her final goodbye to the man. The scene looked heartbreaking but Amara's heart remained unmoved.

The drama she was watching was about a man - who was the son of an extremely wealthy family - fall in love with a woman who worked at his families company but could not be together due to the difference in status.

It was a rather cliche story but was very popular with the masses, especially women, so it had very high ratings.

After watching the end of today's episode Amara stood up and walked to the kitchen, as she walked towards the sink from the corner of her eyes she could see an open door that led to the backyard. She briefly glanced at it before turning back when she felt something pulling her towards its direction.

She stopped.

She stared at the open door for what seemed like forever before walking towards it. All of this happening while Jessie remained oblivious to the fact that Amara had just left.

Once Amara was outside she felt the pull come from the forest behind Austin's house. She narrowed her eyes before walking towards the dense forest packed with trees. Her figure became smaller and smaller until she was swallowed by the trees and her silhouette disappeared.

As she walked further she began hearing whispers drift into her ears.

"Come"

"Closer"

She froze. Her heart felt a small pang of surprise because this was her language... Without her knowing her pace began to quicken until a familiar scent hit her nose

It was salt water.

Her feet stopped and in front of her was a beautiful lake. The surface of the lake was of a beautiful blue colour, the water was clean without a trace of impurity, it looked as if diamonds were sprinkled over it by how it was glistening. The lake was surrounded by beautiful lush trees that swayed with the wind causing a rustling sound as the leaves brushed against one another.

As a creature that belonged to the water her whole body longed to be surrounded by it, it was in her instinct so without a second thought she jumped straight in.

When her body was engulfed in the water it was like all her pores were opened and she could finally breathe, but this relief did not last much longer as a sudden agonising pain tore through her.

The scales that laid dormant under her skin awakened and ripped through her flesh replacing her once white smooth untextured human skin. Razors felt as if being dragged through legs as it started moulding into one, the legs that were once visible changed into a greyish blue tail that was long and slim.

Her nails elongated into sharp claws that looked like it could cut through flesh as if it were butter while thin transparent webs appeared between her fingers.

Her once pearl like skin changed into one with a blue, grey undertone where patches of scales could be seen on it. Her teeth turned into fangs and her eyes into slits.

In just mere minutes an amazing change happened where what looked like a harmless girl turned into a predator.

She took deep breaths, her transformation had been difficult, it was one where some did not survive, she took a couple minutes to rest and regain some of her energy before moving.

A/N

One more chapter!

One more chapter until we are officially caught up! Editing these chapters weren't as hard as the previous ones because I've already edited them before this. Anyway, finally we can move on with the story, hang on a bit more :)