xvii. anger

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN!

ANGER.

THE LAST THING ELENA WANTED TO do after seeing Peeta on the television was have a meeting with the entirety of District Thirteen the following morning. She doesn't want to listen to the people call him a traitor or hate on him for being practically forced into saying those words — he deserves to be safe just like they are.

"Good afternoon. Thank you for interrupting your schedules. They have already been adjusted to compensate for the delay," President Coin begins as she stands above the people of District Thirteen.

Elena usually is not quick to make judgements on people but she cannot help but feel as if Coin not a good leader. The way she carries herself exudes overconfidence and even a sense of arrogance - in some ways she reminds her of Snow.

" I have an announcement for the citizens of 13, and our welcome guests from 12. Katniss Everdeen has consented to be the face of our cause to help unite the districts against the Capitol," Coin continues and Elena looks to Finnick who stands beside her, catching Katniss walking towards them out of the corner of her eye.

"Are they going to get Peeta and Annie?" Elena asks and Finnick moves his gaze to her, giving her a sad smile as he tries to find the right words. Unless Katniss has somehow convinced them, there is no way Coin would go and collect Peeta after the interview the other night.

"In exchange, I have promised several concessions. First, we'll assess all opportunities for the extraction of the Victors held hostage in the Capitol. Peeta Mellark, Johanna Mason —" before Finnick can even speak the question is answered for him, a small smile arising on Elena's face.

However, the smile is quickly wiped away when she hears the obvious displeasure from those around her. Elena controls herself, trying her hardest to not muster up her scariest glare to give them - not that it would even be that scary.

"And Annie Cresta. Once freed, they will be granted full pardon for any and all crimes committed against the rebel cause," Coin is interrupted by the audience showing even more hatred for her words. "If Katniss Everdeen fails to fulfill her duties, the deal will be off. Thank you for your attention. Please, resume your daily schedules,"

 Please, resume your daily schedules,"