Chapter 7: New Job

"So, what do you think of our organisation?"

Uncle Morbid leaned forward and smiled.

"You were fantastic, by the way."

"Thank-you, I had the best teacher," I answered.

Maise mouthed the words "head girl". I held in a chuckle.

"I think your organisation is incredible," I said. "It's like I belong here."

"I'm pleased to hear you say that, because we think so too," replied Uncle Morbid.

My heart skipped.

"However, there is one matter that I don't think has been discussed yet. We are an exclusive private club providing unique and difficult services, as such our membership subscription is rather high."

Shit.

"You might be wondering how your housemate over there can afford us. Well, the reason is..."

"I have money," Maise interrupted. "My family runs a chain of convenience stores all over the city, as an heiress I have a large share in the business. I'm really sorry I didn't tell you, but everything happened so fast."

It did explain a lot. The bespoke clothes, the wine, the posh school uniform... not what she was doing in our toilet of a shared house, though. We'd have to talk about that later.

Uncle Morbid spoke again.

"Now, I don't want to insult you by presuming you can't afford our subs, but I do want to suggest possibilities. Maise has offered to pay your way, but I thought it was only fair to ask you first."

I was cross with Maise, but she had brought me here and I owed her so much. She was my love, I couldn't possibly lean on her financially.

"You said possibilities, plural."

"Well, the other option, which I hope you'll consider, is that you come and work here."

I was taken aback by this.

"Doing what?"

"I understand you work in admin and from what I've heard on the grapevine you're an efficient but antisocial worker. So come and work in our office. Our official business is renting out studio and location facilities to film and media so that's what you'll be adminning, but we'll also ask you to help at the Masquerade."

"So I'd be an angel?"

"That is one of the duties. But we'll give you regular nights off to come with Maise under an avatar, as one of the perks."

I considered my options. Carry on temping on autopilot for random companies I didn't care about, or take a permanent position somewhere I did care. Carry on blocking inane chat from boring office people (which apparently hadn't gone unnoticed) or have a boss called Uncle Morbid. Gee, what to do...

"When do I start?"

"I'm sorry I didn't tell you about the money thing, I feel terrible," said Maise on the drive home.

"I don't get it. If you're rich, why do you live in an attic room in a shit house stuffed with assholes?"

"I'm not rich, just comfortable", said Maise. "The low rent on the shit house is how I afford other nice things. Like Masquerade membership."

She gave me a quick smile, without taking her eyes off the road.

"It can't be that bad, anyway, it's where I met you. I always knew you'd end up working at the Masquerade. It's where you should be."