Chapter 10. Someone new in the town.

Some time passed since Gav left for home. At first, Tiffany was thinking about him and his prolonged time in The Desert but then she gave up as the matter got too blurry. By every passing day the events got more distant and irrelevant to her "here and now". As every morning she did her routine and sat on the chair in front of the rv. The writing pad was as it was before. No one visited the camp sneakily. It was the time when Tiffany already managed to shake off the recent event's burden and got her emotions back under control. What if I pop into the nearest town? See what kind of folks live there, maybe there is a club or something to feel the thrill as before. C'mon girl, you deserve it, you cannot live in the bushes for ten years as Mr. Z from that book. No, I will not follow his way. Crazy old fool.

...

The town was average and small. The "welcome to" banner informed that there live forty thousands residents and please drive carefully.

Tiffany got there on a weekday, late afternoon. People were heading home after work. Some of them were shopping, some other walking.

...

"Here is it. It's very sharp and has a retractable blade. You can draw it out and retract while you don't need it. Also to not cut yourself. If he comes at you again, you have to defend your ... integrity. I think there is a law allowing you to stand your ground. I will ask my dad later. Anyway, I will be with you no matter what."

"I'm afraid. Why he just won't give up and pick up an older girl."

"Because he's an insecure jerk and he fears them."

"He is but he is stronger than us and despite of it we have to deal with him, it's not fair. "

"Life isn't fair, especially if you are a bit different. So, listen. Here is what you'll do. When he hits and grabs you, you cut on the left side of his neck."

Tiffany stopped eating her veg burger and her jaws became still. Then he managed to swallow the last bite and gulped slowly her drink. In the meantime, the girl was talking unaware that someone could hear them.

"Then he's going to hit you again and you have to be ready for it and dodge. Then you cut his upper thigh vein. You will be free of his grip by now. Now, he will have a problem. I will be close to you in case things go south. No matter what, I'll be there. I will have a back up with me."

"What?"

"I'll fetch two guys, Mr. Smith and Mr. Wesson. They have a nickname "big equalisers". No one will stand up to them."

"Do I know them? Have we met by any chance?"

"Silly you. It's a gun."

Tiffany couldn't sit idle anymore. She took her food and boldly sat at the girl's table.

"Don't. Stay as you were."

...

Rita was sitting next to Tiffany looking in a distant mountain.

"Creatures are not equal. It depends where they grow up, what they have innate. Some, let's say burrow diggers have a certain mental horizon and they are not able to see big pictures. It doesn't mean that they are stupid. They can still think and analyse reality, but probably they won't be able to understand it as much as me or you or birds... ok, you can call me vain, mwahaha! Let's continue this vanity fair. Me, you, birds and some other. We have a potential to be overcreatures. We have critical minds, we see a lot, we experience a lot. But only some of us are the higher ones. Thus who are able to force themselves to get out of their comfort zone, are The Ones. Thus who set the goals and follow them are The Ones. Thus who can overcome bonds of society and stand against it are The Ones. Thus are the ones who should rule others. To set the directions. To tell others what and how."