Chapter 35 - Demon World

'The Lady Nefertiti says  to present you with this

'The Lady Nefertiti says to present you with this.' Seisi deposited a full picnic on the balcony while the cat tried to clamber into the basket. Trueth, glad for the interruption, picked up Mish-Mish. She pressed her cheek against his silky fur and got a purr in response.

'How does your mother get all this done, Metjen? She spends her life cooking or what?' Trueth asked.

'She has help, and she does it to support the shelters. We get the spoils.' Metjen waved at Seisi to join them, which he did reluctantly.

'The Lady Nefertiti says she might have to do serious economising,' Seisi said. 'Your sire's overlord at the House of Learning has rejected his services and there seem to be issues with the coffers of your noble house.'

Metjen dropped the bunch of grapes he had grabbed. 'What?'

'Your female parent-'

'Yes thanks, I got that one. What the hell is going on ' Metjen said.

Seisi frowned and Metjen slapped himself on the forehead. 'Stop being so literal, man. Trueth pray...heavens, now I start with the funny talk as well. Okay, do me a favour and explain what I mean to him, I need to talk to my mother.' Metjen jumped up, the cat dropped from Trueth's arm and shot after him. Loud swearing indicated that Mish-Mish had dashed in front of his master as he was descending the staircase.

On the balcony, an awkward silence followed.

'Pray, what things were you to explain?' Seisi asked.

'Something about the way we speak, pray don't mind.'

Seisi inclined his head. 'It has been a long time since the rays of Ra shone on my people,' he said morosely. 'Is the Lord Metjen not willing to help?'

'That was another thing we discussed. The consequences of getting involved.' Trueth drew the cork from the bottle which got her an interested expression from Seisi.

'What did you guys use to seal jars?' She filled two glasses of wine.

'We tie reeds round the top of the amphora, smear on glue and seal it with clay. It works. What you do appears easier.' He drank a sip and swilled it around his mouth in a way reminding her of those connoisseurs on TV. 'This beverage is enjoyable, it is rich in its flower and it is befitting the time of day.' Trueth glanced at the label that mentioned a high alcohol content. She wondered what those religious types in the past had been doing to achieve a state of trance.

It is not permitted during the holy service. Pray forgive me, but you carry your thoughts on your forehead... .

Seisi achieved an infectious grin without displaying his dentures. It made him look as young as he was.

Trueth grinned back and said 'With you I don't have to veil what I'm thinking all the time. It's quite tough, I find. To answer your question--we're not sure what we should do.'