FEATHER #5

Olivia managed to hide from the inquisitive eyes of school students only in the far bleachers of the school stadium. The local baseball team's practice started in twenty minutes. And that's exactly how much time she has to think about what happened.

She was feeling bad. Her shoulders were stiff, her T-shirt was sticky and wet with sweat, and the taste of stomach juice stagnated in her mouth, as if just a little more and she would throw up. And to prevent this, she almost emptied a 1.5-liter bottle of water.

"Hey!"

Olivia quickly turned towards the voice, immediately noticing Mila cheerfully waving her hand.

"Your running speed is incredible!" she smiled, coming closer.

Olivia rolled her eyes, and Mila's smile immediately faded.

"Why did you run away again?" the girl asked in confusion, sitting down next to her.

Olivia leisurely took a sip of water. "I wanted to be alone. But there's nowhere to hide from you, is there?"

Mila vaguely shrugged her shoulders. "You like to spend time in splendid isolation?" she suddenly asked.

"Yes."

"Why?" Mila continued to bombard the girl with questions. "Have you had a fight with your friends?"

Olivia was silent as she sipped her water. And Mila began to get annoyed when her questions were ignored. She suddenly snatched the bottle from the girl's hands and took a sip as well. Olivia's face immediately took on a confused expression, and she hurried to take her water back.

"Are you going to remain silent?" The dark-haired girl asked.

"Are you going to continue to get on my nerves?"

"Maybe."

Mila tilted her head to the side, waiting. And Olivia, faced with the girl's inquisitive gaze, realized that she couldn't get away from the question.

"I don't have friends."

"Why?" Mila asked a question again.

"Some time ago, I had many friends. But they turned their backs on me when they found out that my birth parents abandoned me and my foster mom died."

"But it's ridiculously stupid," Mila winced. "Cruel, I'd say."

"Yeah," Olivia nodded in agreement. "But, as you know, at school, the opinions of others play a big role. At some point, I became an object of discussion. Then they started calling me an orphan and all that."

"They're just stupid teenagers," Mila snorted.

Olivia nodded again, agreeing with the girl's words. "And after my father started drinking, I myself began to push people away. Because I understood that if I had friends, I wouldn't be able to bring them to my home. Who knows, my father is already drunk or hasn't yet reached the necessary condition," she continued quietly. "And then people themselves stopped communicating with me."

"I'm sorry..."

"Don't," Olivia's face scrunched up in displeasure. "It's not your fault. And besides, I don't hold a grudge against them. There are no evil people in the world. Every evil person is a good one who was once betrayed or hurt by someone."

"You're just too kind, Olivia. And, unfortunately, you don't see bad people." Mila suddenly spoke to her as if the girl were a stupid child.

Olivia looked at the girl in confusion. "How do you know my name?" she narrowed her eyes warily.