17 | social butterfly

JUNE 6          

ALLIX

Saturday evening began with me burning myself on my curling iron.

Gritting my teeth, I ran my knuckles beneath the cold faucet until the initial searing pain faded away. All I wanted at the moment was to get tonight's banquet at the Whaling Museum over with and wished I hadn't agreed to help Brenna keep a watchful eye on Conrad Kane.

Despite having confirmed Conrad's alibi for the night of May 16th, we both still suspected that he knew more than he was letting on. I wasn't a confrontational person, and I definitely wasn't savvy enough to somehow trick him into telling the truth, but I trusted my judgment if I could remain objective.

That was how I kept a level head these days. I relied on objectivity and rational thinking. I had to compartmentalize my emotions for the sake of maintaining clarity.

"Pain pays off, huh?"

Rowena popped her head into my bathroom, her blue eyes bright with mirth as she eyed my knuckles. A splotchy redness decorated my skin, but my rings served as a shiny distraction.

"It usually does," I admitted, tossing a wave of hair over my shoulder. "When is Bryce picking you up?"

"Now." My sister's cheeks flushed. "I'm here to bid you adieu and wish you luck."

I threw her a reproachful look. "I don't need luck for a glorified dinner party. You're the one who's going on a date."

"It's not like that," Rowana said, but her coy smile told a different story. "At least not yet." 

"Well, in that case, know your worth. A boy who plays mind games isn't deserving of your time and affection."

Rowena giggled, and before I could tell her that I was serious, she pulled me into a tight embrace. The sweet smell of rose perfume and coconut shampoo tickled my nose as I inhaled.

"Okay, I have to go," she said, releasing me. "You're beautiful. Don't be a total ice queen."

"If being a total ice queen is my only problem, I'll consider myself lucky."

After rolling her eyes, Rowena left. Once I heard the bedroom door shut, I turned around to appraise my reflection in the bathroom mirror. The granite blue slip dress complimented the lighter hues of my eyes, and since I was basically flat-chested, the cowl neck was modest yet flattering. There were also adjustable side ties, allowing me to style the dress at a midi length. The glossy fabric gilded against my skin as I stepped up to the counter.

Sometimes, this act transported me back to the darker days when strong was the same as empty, and recovery was a sour daydream. Fortunately, the tide had turned, and mirrors were no longer portraits of my insecurities. I was healing from the inside out. Or so I hoped.

The faint vibration of my phone on the counter pulled me out of my thoughts. I grimaced when I saw Syd's caller ID occupying the screen, but still answered the call.

"I got a flat tire on my way to Dakota's house," Syd said, apparently out of breath. "I need you to go scoop him."

I scoffed, adjusting the right spaghetti strap of my dress. "Way to ask nicely."

"Sorry," Syd whined. "I'm sorry, okay? I have Brenna in the car, and I don't want to be the reason why she's late."

I watched my reflection's expression morph into a scowl. Deep down, I knew that this shouldn't be a big deal. Driving to Dakota's house was hardly a mile out of my way to the museum, but my conversation with him last night still had me on edge.