Chapter Two- Livia

Reddik traces his fingers mindlessly down my arm. A low and pleasant hum warms my blood. We sit beneath the tree in the Queen's Garden. And I rest lazily against his chest.

Beautiful flowers surround us, offering a summer's illusion. The glass-domed roof traps the sun's rays, nourishing the flowers. It's beautiful, and one of my favorite places to be.

Especially here with Reddik.

"I hate that we have to hide. I'm queen. I should be able to do as I please." It's a statement I've made many times before.

"You know it's more complicated than that," Reddik reminds me. His fingers trace up my arm until they reach my neck. He brushes my long black hair aside. I smile the moment his tender lips touch the base of my neck.

"If you want to leave me, I'll understand," he whispers almost painfully.

I grab his hands and pull them around me. "Stop," I say. "You promised you wouldn't say that."

He kisses the top of my head. "Forgive me, my love."

Melting back into his arms, I intertwine my hands through his. Worry rises up and sticks in my throat. Soon Reddik will be returning to the North with Prince Grif. Leaving me behind.

"What are you thinking?" Reddik asks, pulling me from my thoughts.

"Nothing," I lie.

"I know something's wrong. Is it the uncertainty of the future?"

"Maybe," I admit, honestly. "Doesn't it bother you? To know your life choices belong to someone else?

"I hate it as much as you do, believe me," he assures. "Let's hope the king is willing to listen to reason. For my father to..." His words fade angrily away.

But he doesn't need to say "be so selfish" out loud. It's implied. I can't understand how a father could knowingly forfeit his child's life without having second thoughts. It was his father's choice to be part of the Circle of Lords. But Reddik bears the burden. Any son born to a Lord of the Circle becomes a Northern Shadow, an assassin in training. It's a burden that keeps Reddik from me. But until he goes back home, I'll enjoy every second given to us.

"You know, it's not all that bad. Sneaking around," I admit. "It's rather exciting."

"Oh, really?" Reddik laughs. "You like the sense of danger, O Fearless Queen?"

I twist around and face him. "What is your greatest fear?"

He rests his head against mine and shakes his head. "You and your questions." He leans back thoughtfully. "Hmm, snakes are definitely on my list."

"Snakes? You?" I scoff. "You've gone up against hundreds of Silent Watchers, yet you run at the sight of a snake? Well, I think they're beautiful."

"Beautiful? They are venomous creatures."

"You know there's snakes here in the garden?"

He tenses, and I laugh.

"You are a vicious queen," he teases.

My cheeks warm at our playful banter. Snakes might not be his greatest fear of all time, but it gives us something else to think about.

Off behind the hedges, my personal guard clears his throat. I adjust myself away from Reddik, brushing my hands over my dress.

"Yes, Cam?" I ask.

"Mary wants me to remind you of your meeting in an hour."

"Yes, yes. Tell her I haven't forgotten."