Chapter Twenty | Fix His Attitude

unedited

"Earth to Todoroki!" a feminine voice suddenly chirped. The dual-haired boy blinked before turning to the brunette, realizing he hadn't been paying attention to the conversation his friends were having.

"Sorry, what?"

"I knew it! You haven't been listening to a word we've said for the past five minutes!" Ochako dramatically flung her arms up, acting as if he'd done the most outrageous thing in the world.

"You don't usually zone out like this, Todoroki..." Izuku mumbled, glancing up at the boy with a worried expression. Shoto turned his gaze away from the broccoli headed boy, knowing that he wouldn't be able to keep any secrets from his friend. Nobody could lie when he looked at them with his big round puppy-dog eyes.

"I'm just... a little tired," he dismissed their concern with a shrug. Technically, he wasn't lying. He'd struggled to go to sleep for hours due to the rampant thoughts that had invaded his brain. He probably wouldn't be able to rest easy until he talked about it with someone, but he couldn't visit his mom until the weekend. Confiding in someone would have to wait.

"Regardless of the reason, I hope you can get it together before class begins. You won't perform very well if you aren't focused," Tenya declared as he made a chopping motion with his arm.

Sometimes he reminds me of a robot when he does that

... is he a robot?

"I'll be fine by the time class starts," Shoto assured the taller male, listening closley to determine if he sounding like a machine when he moved.

It would make sense. His legs have engines in them

Maybe his entire body runs on some kind of powerful motor

"Of course. Your'e one of the top students in class and I trust that you'll act appropriatley," Tenya nodded at his, doing another chopping motion with his hand.

I wonder if he has to charge himself at night instead of sleeping

If that's the case, could Kaminari's electricity charge him?

"Being a top student doesn't always mean setting a good example, Iida," Ochako giggled. "Bakugo's a top student too, and he's the most crude person I've ever met!"

Suddenly, all Shoto's previous thoughts rushed back into his mind. The conspiracy of Tenya being a robot was fun and all, but it was only a temporary distraction from the crisis at hand.

Izuku let out a small burst of laughter. "Yeah, Kacchan has always been like that! He always manages to excel!"

"I can acknowledge that he's a top student, but his behavior is simply unacceptable!" Tenya aggressively chopped the air. "If he's serious about becoming a hero, he'll need to fix his attitude!"

"I don't think he has to change to be a hero," the words came out before Shoto could stop them. Three pairs of eyes looked at him quizically.

Why are they looking at me like that? Was that a weird thing to say?

"Really? Isn't having a hero with Bakugo's anger kind of scary?" Uraraka questioned.

"Not really. I think I'd feel safer with a hero that shows that amount of aggression towards villains," he shrugged. His companion's eyebrows furrowed even further.

What's with those expressions? That was a perfectly resonable explanation

"Even so, we can't have a hero that yells at civilians all of the time. That would be completely unprofessional," Tenya insisted with another chop of his hand. The heterochromatic boy rolled his eyes.

"It's not like he goes around yelling at people constantly," He thought back to the day when Katsuki made a bunch of jokes after the encounter with Endeavor. Shoto had the sinking suspicion that the blond knew he was tense after seeing his father, and was trying to cheer him up. His lips curved into a small smile. "He's nice in his own way,"

He turned to see his friends now staring at him with comically wide eyes. Ochako's mouth was hanging open like some kind of gaping fish. It almost made him laugh.

"Are... are you sure we're talking about the same person?" Ochako asked. Shoto opened his mouth to reply, but was stopped by a loud voice from down the hallway.

"Ooh, do I sense some juicy gossip?" Denki wiggled his eyebrows and he skipped towards them. He was coming from behind the group with Hanta and Eijiro right behind him.

"Good morning, Kaminari! We were just talking about Kacchan," Izuku explained, glancing at Shoto when he said the blond's nickname.

"Why? Did he get into another fight or something?" Hanta laughed. Shoto knew that the black haired boy was only joking but he couldn't help but feel a little annoyed. They all talked about Katsuki like he was some kind of brute who went around looking to fight.

Ochako laughed at the comment. "Suprisingly, no. Todoroki was just telling us why he thinks Bakugo will be a good hero,"

"He's already a good hero," he grumbled, as they approached the classroom. He chose to ignore the suprised faces of his friends, leaving the group to sit down at his desk.

Denki only shrugged. "He's right ya know. Bakugo has a really good handle on his quirk, and he's really good at hand-to-hand combat, AND he's already more skilled than tons of villains!"

Hanta nodded in agreement. "Yeah, although it is kind of strange hearing that from Roki considering how many fights he's gotten into with the fiery hedgehog lately,"

"That is a little weird but considering that they think of each other as rivals it makes sense that they'd think highly of each other," Izuku mumbled, placing a thoughtful hand on his chin. "Still, I wonder what me meant when he said Kacchan is nice in his own way..."

Eijiro stayed silent as he stared at the dual-haired boy, his eyebrows creased as if he was thinking really hard about somthing.

"What are you losers doing crowded around the door like a bunch of lazy cows!? Move it!" a rough voice snarled from behind them, making them all jump in alarm. Eijiro snapped out of his daze, a toothy grin lighting up his features.

"Bakubro! I almost thought you weren't coming today! You're usually one of the first people here!" he rambled on as he slung an arm around his best friend's shoulders. "Did you enjoy the long weekend? I'm still pretty sore from all the training I did!"

"Shut up, you red haired loser! It's too early to have you blabbing in my ear!" Katsuki growled, but made no move to shove him away. Eijiro's eyes trailed over to their usually stone-faced classmate, who was looking at the blond with what looked to be a confused expression. The shark-toothed boy decided to conceal his curiosity for the time being.

He'd get to the bottom of things eventually.

_______________

holy woah i wrote this whole thing in one sitting
that's never happened before

also i'd like to sincerly thank everyone for the ridiculous amount of reads this story has gotten

35k? excuse me?
that's a scary number