[Chapter 4] Tea on the oak porch

They looked at each other again as if asking if they should comply with that unexpected request. At the door, waiting, a pale woman in a nightgown and sparse hair stared at them. Without any reaction from them, she watched the sky which at that moment thundered and rained even more.

"Come in, come in ... get out of this rain." - She said again.

"Good night!" - Said Sun Bo as he approached the door. "Sorry for the schedule, but we're looking for Wu Feng."

"Yes .. yes ... they are in the right place. Please come in ... " She said opening the door a little more for them to enter.  "I'm cold and I think you too."

Sun Bo looked at his friend, still suspicious, but even so he stepped through the door while rubbing his shoes on the carpet at the entrance door. Hao Ting followed but without being kind to his friend. He was relieved to have come out of the rain that was now followed by cold winds that made his wet hair freeze. The woman leaned against the door quickly, avoiding the drops that insisted on entering with the help of the wind. The entrance hall was not large, but it had an open atmosphere very peculiar to the houses in the countryside. A wooden staircase worked and painted with varnish probably gave access to the upper rooms. Next to the stairs, a room that had its doors open showed several shelves with several books behind the transparent glass. The two watched the place with surprise.

Next to the stairs, a long wooden-floored corridor gave access to what looked like a large dining room

Next to the stairs, a long wooden-floored corridor gave access to what looked like a large dining room. In the middle of the room there was a table, also of varnished wood, which presented itself majestically giving a tone of sovereignty to the place. From one of the entrances that had this long corridor, a young girl left and went to meet the three.

"Mrs. Feng. You are prepared, as you requested." Said the young woman.

"Thank you very much Sta. Ming. I will accompany them myself. Prepare the guest room please. From the end of the corridor on the right."

At that moment the two realized that the woman who had answered them at the entrance door was actually Wu Feng, Xi Gu's aunt. When they met her six years ago she was less skinny and younger looking than they were seeing. Many years had passed, and it was to be expected that age could change people's faces, but it was clear that with Wu Feng that time did her more harm than good.

"Sorry again for the time, Mrs Feng." - Hao Ting started the conversation. "We didn't know it was you. We're sorry."

"That's OK, it happens." - There was a pause. - "You must be cold. Follow me please."