7: Dead, Alive, Then Dead Again

Zane

"Kill me please" I whispered to the pillow, which my face was completely submerged in. I hated waking up more than I hated my algebra teacher.

"You have no idea how much I want to do it sometimes," My sister yapped. "but mum ordered to wake you up and not kill you, sadly."

"What did I do to earn such a lovely sister." I didn't know how much she heard because I was still inside my pillow.

"WAKE UP." She screamed.

"I'M UP. Jeez I hate your voice." I threw one of my pillows at her. "Now, leave."

"You should really be nicer to your older sister." I could hear a smirk in her voice. "Especially when she knows that you snuck a boy into your bedroom yesterday." What the actual fuck.

"Wh-What? I didn't sneak anyone in" I lied obviously. Suddenly I was more than awake at the thought of Gavin in my room. It was exciting, not gonna lie.

"Mhm and I'm blonde." she pushed her jet black hair behind her shoulders. "And Gavin Ross, high school's star footballer wasn't in your bedroom yesterday."

"What's it gonna take you to shut up" He was so dead. She was dead too. Everyone was dead to me on that lovely morning.

"We'll see." She said as she left my room. My life just kept getting better and better.

I put on my clothes quickly and grabbed a piece of dry bread from the kitchen and ate it on my way to school. I went straight to art class and looked for my coat on the coat hanger. One of the coats was visibly missing, even though the classroom was empty, but I didn't give it too much thought.

I went to where my painting was and removed the white sheet covering it. I gazed at it for what seemed like forever. I wanted to cry so bad, and a tear did escape my eye. I worked so hard on this, just for it to be smeared with red paint. I eventually sat on the floor with the canvas in my hand.

"I really didn't do it." His voice came from the direction of the door. But no one was standing there.

"I don't care anymore. What do you want?" I asked, not looking up from my painting.

"Do you promise not to attack me?"

"I won't."

"Promise it."

I was getting agitated. "Fine. I promise."

Only then I heard his footsteps and looked up. He was wearing the missing coat and he had a bag of what looked like food.

"I'm here to help. I got breakfast too." he said with a gentle smile. He looked so adorable just like a pup-

No. No one is like Pup.

He sat next to me on the floor and opened the food containers. The smell of pancakes hit me as soon as he opened them. Anything beat the dry toast I ate. My mouth felt like I swallowed a sponge.

I looked him in the eyes, "Why are you doing this?"

"Doing what?" he was unfazed.

"This," I waved my hand in his general direction. "You said that you didn't ruin the painting. Why are you here then? You're not obliged to help if you didn't cause anything."

"Yeah, I know. but I want to help. I owe you that at least."

"You don't owe me anything." I sighed.

"Yes, I do. For blocking your way in the halls. For spilling juice on your shirts." That felt nice. He did ruin a hefty amount of shirts. "And for many other reasons that I won't discuss right now."

"It would take the whole day, wouldn't it?" I replied sarcastically.

"It would, and I'm here to make up for it." Well, that was a side I didn't expect to see from the great unapologetic Gavin Ross. I wanted to squeeze out more apologies (He caused me a lot of suffering), but the smell of food was too distracting.

"Now that we're on speaking-and-not-killing each other terms," He spoke after swallowing. "I didn't get a chance to ask you properly the other day."

"Hmm? Ask me what?"

"Did you enjoy the game?" He was too eager to know. I couldn't understand why it was important whether I enjoyed the game or not. What was weirder is that I didn't want him to think I didn't enjoy it. Sports weren't my thing, but watching him play was a different experience than watching it on TV or in some video. I actually did enjoy it.

"I did. I really did." his features brightened, eyes squinting and nose scrunching up a little. It amazed me how much my word seemed to affect him.

"So what do we do now?" Gavin asked with his gaze fixed on the painting.  We were done eating so we were brainstorming in a more humane manner.

"I have absolutely no idea." My speech was solidly disappointing.

"You'll figure something out, I'm sure." Didn't realise there was a supportive side, too. I liked it. I wanted more of this Gavin, and less of the annoying cool Gavin.

Gavin wasn't as good of a painter as I were, so he mainly helped by fetching paint and equipment. He did some mixing too, and at one point he helped with some shading as he was precise at it.

An hour or so into painting and we were both tired. However, Gavin didn't complain. Not even once. Had it the opposite way, I would've nagged the whole time. I was a moody little bitch and I hated it.

"Hey Gavin, you got a little blue on your face." I pointed to the sides of his cheek.

"Where?" he said, wiping his face randomly.

"You smeared it even more." I sneaked some yellow on my index finger, "It's right about.. THERE." I tarnished his face with the brightest shade of cadmium yellow.

"Oh. No. You. Didn't." He threatened, wiping the stains with his fingers. He suddenly dipped his hand in viridian and passed it all over my face.

Eventually, not one inch of his face wasn't covered in paint. Streaks of crimson and violet and every shade in the spectrum was plastered against his smooth skin.

"Stop it Bob Ross wannabe." He said.

"Make me." I said.

Suddenly, Gavin seemed to overpower me. His hands wrapped around my wrists as he pinned them to the floor above my head. His athletic build, which was way stronger than mine, pinned me down. "How's that for making you stop?" He whispered in my face, his breath smelling of strawberry syrup.

I could not speak. I wanted him off of me in an instant. Then why was I not acting upon it?
His eyes darted from my widened ones to my slightly open lips. Back and forth in between what was mine and what was on him. For a second, he was going to say something, but then he was so lost in the moment that his lips felt soft on mine and for a minute, I forgot where I was. Like magnet poles finally meeting, he'd come back to them whenever he pulled away. He'd come back for more, and more, until he was out of breath. He had to put all of his willpower to back off, his face full of horror. He looked so freaked out as he scrambled away on all fours and squeezed his eyes shut.

"No." he muttered over and over again. I thought I had done something bad. But it felt so good to be bad. "Shit. I can't do this... I can't do this... No" He kept muttering.

"I'm sorry" I tried but he interrupted me quickly.

"It's not your fault. It's just," He collected himself. "I can't. I swore to myself. You won't understand." Swore to himself? What was he talking about?

"You can try me?"

"I need to see your binder" I was immediately furious.

He was so dead to me. Everyone was dead to me.

A/N: Sorry for the late update! I'll update more soon and faster I promise.
More soon x.