Chapter Nine

Chapter 9

Season 2, Episode 5

When I get home I go straight to my room and get changed into my oversized shirt and comfortable shorts. I go back down into the kitchen to have some water before bed. Like Cristina, I'm a little dehydrated from crying too.

I get some water from the sink but before I can drink it I feel another rush of sadness. I put my glass down and lean on the counter in front of the sink. The tears are streaming but I try not to make a sound. My hand covers my mouth as tears stream down my face. All of a sudden, I hear the front door open and I wipe my face. Caught in the act again. I can hear voices from the front room. I grab my glass and start to make my way to the stairs but accidentally pass by Izzie and Alex standing in the doorway.

She is wearing a gorgeous dress so they obviously went on a date. I caught them in the act of almost kissing, but it looked really awkward. For some reason, Izzie gets pissed at Alex and storms past me and up the stairs. Obviously, not a very good first date. Alex looks down before back at me, his expression changes instantly when he looks at my face and he takes a step forward.

"Hey, what happened?" I can hear his brotherly undertones but I really don't want to talk about it, especially with him. I shake my head trying to brush it off but I know I won't be able to convince him no matter what I say.

"I'm fine," I say and he sighs coming right up to me.

"No, you're not. You've been crying. Now, you're going to tell me whose ass I have to kick." He says it almost playfully but I know that he's not joking so I'm quick to correct him.

"You don't have to kick anyone's ass. He...Jeremiah, he died." I say and it's the first time I've said it out loud.

"Who?"

"The patient who asked me out." I sigh, he's not going to understand.

"Oh, I thought you rejected him?" I'm at a loss for words because I don't know how to make anyone understand.

"I did, but I didn't. He just...I know it's stupid because I barely knew him but I cared..." I trail off as the tears start to flow again.

"Hey, hey." He says softly before pulling me into a hug. I don't want to hug him, I'm still mad but I can't pull away. Instead, I sink into his arms and let myself be held by him and let my feelings unravel.

∞∞∞∞∞∞

The next morning was work, as usual, we did rounds, filled out paperwork and basically ran around the hospital like lost puppies, but that's the life of a surgical intern. Bailey gave us our assignments and sent George, Alex, and I to the pit for incoming trauma. We all head down there and into the busiest room where a police officer lies on the table in pain. I pull on gloves and walk up to the patient.

"Pete Willoughby, 25-year-old, G.S.W. to the chest." The nurse says while handing the write up to George. I look at the side of the patient and pull back the bandage slightly to see the gunshot wound. "Immediate return of 860 ccs of blood."

"Oh, man, this hurts!" The man cries in pain and I put the bandage back over the wound.

"He's put out more than 200ccs over the past hour." The nurse explains and I nod taking my stethoscope and putting it on his chest.

"They never tell you in movies how much it hurts to get shot!" Pete complains and I don't blame him. I turn to the nurse.

"Push morphine, 2 milligrams," I state when all of a sudden I hear George and Alex fighting.