Chapter 14: That's too corny (The End)

****************************

One week later...

****************************

"Your parents really wanna meet me already?" Ayden asked on the phone.

"If it was up to my mom, she would have met you the moment you were born..." I rolled my eyes as I heard his laugh.

"Are they gonna interrogate me... the whole 'what are your intentions with my daughter' and everything?"

"You bet they are..." I smirked teasingly. Truth be told I had no idea what my parents were up to.

"Anything you wanna warn me about?" He asked playfully. I thought about it for a moment.

"Mom would probably fan-girl over you, you'll have to ignore her and don't say no to dad's food, as a chef he thinks that's an insult," I told Ayden over the phone as he listened to me while I dipped my paintbrush in deep cadmium yellow and smeared it across the canvas with gentle strokes, allowing it to blend and mix with shades of tangerine that I had painted before and were still wet.

"Got it." He replied, "anything else I need to know?"

"Don't be late..." I told him. "And especially don't be early."

He laughed, "alright... I'll see you in an hour, Skyler."

"Yeah...see you," I said and then hung up.

Ayden was coming home today to meet mom and dad and there's gonna be chaos. The kitchen I'm sure is already in shambles from all the cooking that dad is up to. I think mom had cleaned the whole house and probably brought out the expensive dinner set.

I just hope the night ends with minimum embarrassment on my part.

My room smelled like acrylic paints, coffee and my buttercream body-lotion just how I love it. After adding finishing touches to the canvas I cleaned my brushes and gazed at the painting. The art I created today was vibrant, even though it was filled with shades of blue it was not at all gloomy like my other paintings, reflecting my mood in a physical form.

Even with the threat of potential embarrassment lurking in the near future, I was still feeling pretty good about today.

The summer was coming to an end, the weather outside my window was drizzly and humid but on the inside, I felt elated.

I looked at the table clock on my desk, it said it was 06:30 in the evening, and I realised I was getting late for dinner with my boyfriend and my family.

Holy cow! He really was my boyfriend! I blushed a brilliant shade of pink and was thankful there wasn't anyone seeing me right now.

I walked into my bathroom and washed my hands, trying to scrub the paint from my nails but as usual, it was futile.

I quickly changed into my favourite purple tank top and my go-to dark jeans pulled my hair up into my usual ponytail and applied cherry flavoured chap-stick to my lips. Done.

I looked at the clock. It was almost time. I checked myself in the mirror before I darted out of my room and went downstairs to see how much damage control needed to be done.

The whole house smelled of freshly baked bread and an amazing mix of aromas from all the spices dad was most definitely using in whatever he was making.

I made my way towards the kitchen passing a perfectly set dinner table on the way.

"What's for dinner dad?" I asked as he looked up at me while stirring something in a saucepan.