Chapter 06 - Accelerated Development

"You're joking me."

"Drown that – we've been working our backsides off as a unit and now they're going to start carving us up?"

"This is crazy. Who in the River are these people anyway?"

Ryke kept his own council as the objections flew thick and fast, and he felt a sudden surge of relief that he hadn't tried to muscle his way into any kind of leadership roll. Kazem stood with a helpless look on his face, struggling to get a word in edgeways as the others bombarded him with their displeasure.

The announcement had come through that afternoon from Mulrough. The drill sergeant confirmed what Vela had told them several nights ago: Ozzmar, one of the largest, well defended towns to the south west of Brekka, had been obliterated by a concentrated Scraegan assault that matched any attack on record.

Following the incident, military preparations were being accelerated into extremes. People in the remaining southern towns were descending into a panic. Local officials were bombarding the Brekkan command post with demands for more troops and Hunter-Killer detachments to secure themselves against further Scraegan incursions, and keep an increasingly agitated population in line.

The demand far outstripped the forces available. In response to the crisis Bekka Command had authorised a truncated induction programme for recruits for every single arm of their stretched military force – the Hunter-Killers were no exception.

With the sudden influx of new prospective pilots, the existing squadrons were being reorganised to ensure the newest recruits were mixed in with those who'd already undergone a large portion of training in an effort to further speed up every stage of the process. Their squad was not spared from the resulting carve-up.

"Everything they've been drilling into has been about how we're supposed to work as team, as a unit," Brigg ranted. "And now they just turn around and start cutting and pasting?"

"They can drown this shit," Raquelle muttered bitterly. "We were getting somewhere as a team and they're throwing it away. Now me and Deisha are getting screwed in with these drifters. I mean, what are they expecting? I've barely learned to pilot those practice suits and now they think we're going to help teach these people? It's crazy!"

Beside her, Deisha who until now had been Green Eight, nodded her agreement, a black look stamped on her deeply tanned face. She tucked a stray loop of frizzy dark hair behind her ear, eyes boring into the concrete of the mess hall floor.

"Well what do you want me to do?!" Kazem snarled suddenly, earning himself a moment of silence. "I don't run this damn place. We can make formal protests through the command chain, but with everything that's going on right now do you really think that'll accomplish anything? I know it sucks but we're stuck with it."

"He's right," Preese offered, his soft, husky voice seeming to exude calm. "They're just trying to maximise their resources as quickly as they can. They wouldn't do it if they didn't have to. Ozzmar's a bad, bad sign."

"Do we at least know who's coming in?" Ryke asked, breaking his silence at last.

"Two from the refugee intake from Ozzmar, that's all I know."

"When?

"Mulrough's assigning new squad rosters in the morning."

"By the River," Vela cursed. "Not wasting time are they?"

Kazem shrugged. "Would you?"

Ryke sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose with one hand. It was a mess, but a mess not of their making. Internally he see-sawed back and forth, on the one hand equally as angry about their squad being broken up, on the other fully understanding the dire situation that Ozzmar's destruction represented. They needed more Hunter-Killers and fast.