Chapter 10: Baby arrangements

Zoe's POV

"I'm sorry what?" I said asking him to repeat. I had clearly heard wrong or misunderstood him.
He clearly didn't just ask me to sell my baby.

"I'm willing to pay you whatever amount for my baby. As soon as the baby is born, you disappear." He said nonchalant.

I felt as the anger raise to my face. He had the nerves to repeat that. I can't believe I gave him the benefit of the doubt, that he could be an actual decent human being.

"What makes you think that I would ever sell my baby!" I whisper yelled.

Everyone in the cafe was already starting to stare. Some even had their phones out.

We weren't even talking that loud. I wonder why they were staring.

Whatever the reason, this wasn't a conversation I was about to have in front of everyone.

"Let's take this outside," I said in threatening tone.

I called Samuel over crocking my index finger for him to come over.

"Can you please stand behind the counter, I need to have a conversation with this nice gentle man." I said to Samuel. I faked a smile at the word 'nice'.

Samuel gave me a small smile, silently asking if I was okay.

I stepped out of the counter and led Alexandra out.

There was a bench right in front of the cafe.

I sat down on the bench.

Alex eyed the bench for a while as if he was deciding whether to sit or not.

"Just sit down," I said annoyed.

He took a handkerchief from his pocket and wiped the bench. He then threw the handkerchief into the trash can, two meters away from us.

I couldn't believe him. Was he really so germophobic? Couldn't he just sit on it instead of throwing it away?

He finally sat down.

"Your wife must have been devastated," I said starting of the conversation.

He sighed. I sensed some hesitation on face.

"Zahra isn't my wife," he finally spoke.

My eyes widened as I looked at him confused.

"I hired her as my surrogate," he continued.

"That explains a lot," I whispered thinking out loud.

Alex didn't look like the kind of guy who settled.

"What?" He asked confused.

"Any woman who would be with you would either be completely stupid or damaged." I joked.

He didn't seem to be in the mood for jokes, I decided to change the subject.

"Why do you want a baby?" I asked.

He hesitated for a moment.

"I want a family. Besides, I haven't found the right person and I don't think I will," he answered.

I chuckled.

Guys like him usually avoided babies or any form of responsibility.

"Why? Do you plan on raising the child in a bar." I said sarcastically.

He shook his head dismissive.

"So how much do you want?" He asked he asked again.

His voice had suddenly gone serious.