19. Butterflies

EVENTUALLY, THE OTHER BLOND PASSED THE PHONE BACK TO HIM, WHISTLING, "Now, that looks like the kind of guy you bring home after the first date. How long you known him?"

The smile on his face never dropping.

"Four years. Fuck off, now."

Joseph growled out, shoving the device into his sweatpants pockets along with his shaking hands. Was he angry at Hunter or just worried about Jericho? Either way, it didn't matter because he was asking way too many questions for just being 'curious.'

"My bad, I'm just following protocol." His brother unfolded his arms and raised them, "Can never be too careful. You know how it is, right?" He was smirking now, an ugly thing that seemed to stretch across the entirety of his face. "But it's a little different this time?"

He clenched his jaw, "What makes you say that?" steeling his expression in the process.

"Well, that's because you love him, don't you? More than Kylie because, if you'd given even half a shit about her, you wouldn't have let her wander where she wasn't welcome. Who knows? But only God knows where she is now. Did you ever think about what would have happened If she'd snitched? We'd all be in prison!"

He wasn't wrong. Joseph didn't work with him, but he knew exactly what went on. Depending on what was found out, he'd still be charged as an accessory. And if they found about the other shit Hunter was doing on the side? That's years. But was this really the only reason he was here? To argue? Seemed unlikely.

Kylie was nice enough and pretty, but she was no more than an acquaintance he used for causal sex. A replacement for whenever his mind wandered to what he couldn't have and his hand wasn't enough.

But, he wasn't just going let his brother "deal" with her, so he helped, risking the perfectly crafted reputation he'd built up over the years in the process. It was a bit of a blip, that's for sure. In exchange for protection from Hunter and her silence, he'd play the part of an emotionally abusive boyfriend that always knew where she was until she graduated.

It took a few months, but eventually, everyone had forgotten about it, and everything went pretty much back to normal, except for her, her family, and any of the friends she had, wherever they are. They still probably see him as the piece of shit that hurt their daughter/friend, but in the end, it was worth it.

He'd somehow managed to keep Jericho in the dark about the entire thing too. He wasn't dense, so there were a few close calls, but nothing that would jeopardize what he was trying to do.

The blond just never got around to telling him about it. And, of course, he wanted to, but he couldn't. He wasn't going to run him out of town too. He loved him too much to risk that.

Joseph balled up his fists but stayed silent; he'd let him run his mouth until he said something that made him feel like breaking his fucking jaw. He'd been waiting on this for a good long time, suppressing it for too long was starting to take a toll on him.

He continued, "She found some of my shit, so she had to go. The same applies to every single motherfucker invited to this house; no exceptions. There's a reason you don't bring him around, though. He doesn't know about me, does he?"

"You're right, you know why?" His voice was dark; it matched his expression. He could tell Hunter was getting pissed. "Because you're a parasite, I don't want him wastin' precious time even thinkin' about you. I'm the only reason you're not rottin' in prison right now. Stay out of my shit and we won't have issues."

He could almost hear the blood vessels popping in hunter's eyes.

"Oh, man! I really want to meet him now. And, what, did you expect me to thank you? You took it upon yourself because you have a superiority complex and knew pop treated me like trash. Let me catch Jericho snooping around here like that bitch Kylie, i'd break some rules for him. Show him what he's missing—"