Chapter 2

Mia's POV

     I stood standing in front of the dresser in mine and Hayden's room at one of the community pack houses. I had moved in about a month ago. I couldn't stand being at the group home anymore. Not since Kaia. Not since she left without a trace. I glanced over at one of the picture frames sitting atop the dresser. I picked it up and smiled slightly at the sight of Hayden's arm wrapped around me as we smiled at the camera, all the while, Asher was smiling down at Kaia as she gazed up at him.

     I heard the door open, knowing it was Hayden. "Hey, baby," He smiled softly at me as he walked over, kissing the top of my head. "They were so happy together," Hayden sighed as he plucked the photo from my hand and looked at it.

     "I miss them," I said quietly, but I know he heard me just fine.

     He sighed softly as he blinked unshed tears from his eyes. "Me too, so fucking much. I think we're getting close to finding her though," He said with more confidence than I've heard in months.

     I practically beamed at him. "That's great news! I don't know what that fucker did to her, but something just seemed wrong with that whole situation." I had been thinking ever since that day in the woods. Magic was being used and it wasn't just any ordinary witch or warlock. I pushed the thoughts out of my head as I knew it would just bring too many unwanted emotions along with it.

     I know Asher's death affected Hayden more than he shows. It practically destroyed him. I mean, Hayden was the future beta, with Asher as his alpha. They grew up together and were practically inseparable. Asher had even told me before I found out Hayden was my mate, he would ask Asher for all kinds of advice about me. The thought of my mate having a little crush on me, made me smile slightly.

     Hayden nodded his head at my statement. "I know, I don't think some random werewolf killed him. He's an alpha's son for fuck's sake! There was no way that that whole scene was not orchestrated." I completely agreed with him. I hated to think that badly of Kaia's father but it all makes too much sense.

     I squeezed my eyes shut, remembering the sound of Asher's howl as he died in the woods. I couldn't help but feel responsible for not helping in some way. I know my magic isn't that strong, but I could have done something!

     I felt Hayden squeeze me in a hug. "Hey, stop that. I can hear the gears turning in that pretty little head of yours," He said as he gazed down at me with so much love. But I couldn't help thinking that Kaia would never feel this way again. She would never know what it's like to have her mate in her arms again. She would probably never be able to move on from the heartbreak and it will most likely drive her to the brink of insanity.

     I gave him a small smile. "Do you want to go see Asher's grave today?" I asked Hayden. It was something that we did regularly. It still felt like he was here with us. Hayden gave me a small nod as he led me out of our bedroom, hand in hand.

----------------------------------------

Hayden's POV

     If it wasn't for my mate, then I don't know what I'd be doing right now. Honestly, I would probably be dead. I couldn't even begin to describe the feeling I had when I found Asher's body. It was him, but also not him in a sense. There was no warmth in his body, his neck mangled and his eyes empty. We had heard his howl through the woods as Kaia took off in that direction. I wanted to go after him but we were surrounded, and I would never leave my mate defenseless.

     At one point when fighting with the werewolves, vampires, and witches, it was almost as if they were told to retreat. This is what made me, Mia, and Sebastian suspicious. We ran fast through the foods as we raced towards Asher and Kaia's smell. My eyes widened at the destruction surrounding the area. No, not area, a body. I had run up to Asher's body on the ground and roared out in pain. My best friend, my brother was dead and there was nothing I could do to help him.