Chapter 13

"You know, your brother is not what I expected," Simon tells me during lunch the next week. It's Wednesday, so it's been a couple days since Simon met Derrick, and also a couple days since I realized the true extent of my feelings for Simon.

I've been feeling a little anxiety around him since meeting up with him on the roof. I think we're slowly moving our lunch spot from the library to the roof as the days grow cooler. It is much nicer up here, I'll admit. Now that I'm around Simon, I literally cannot stop thinking about the conversation Lexy and I had, and now I'm really noticing how I feel around Simon. I do like him, more than I thought I did. I hang off every word when he speaks, I take advantage of every opportunity to be physically close to him, I still experience that warm fluttery feeling inside when I'm around him.

"Derrick?" I ask for clarification, even though I'm pretty sure that's who Simon means.

"Yeah. With all the tattoos and piercings. I don't know what I expected, but it wasn't that. He looks like he could fit right in with a death metal band or something," says Simon with a chuckle.

"Well, he can play guitar," I reply, "and he can sing really well."

"He seems cool," Simon remarks.

"Question. Would you be interested in learning to skateboard?" I ask, changing the subject. I know it seems random, but I suddenly remember Lexy talking about that and I have to ask.

"What? Skateboarding?"

"I told Lex the next time she stays I'd like us all to hang out and she's super into skating and wants to teach you."

"She wants to teach me how to skateboard?" Simon asks and he sounds like he doesn't believe it. I nod.

"I'm being serious. She wants to teach you if you're up for it. She's tried to teach me, but I'm awful. I have the worst balance."

"I don't know if I would be much better," Simon mumbles. "God, her and Ivan would get along so well. He loves to skateboard. He once tried to teach me and it ended horribly."

"What happened?" I ask, curious.

"I broke my wrist."

"Oh. So, should I tell her that's a no, then?"

There's a pause. "More than likely, yes. I would rather not deal with a broken bone."

"Understandable."

"So...how far have you gotten into Castlevania?" Simon asks, referring to the anime. I actually just finished that anime last night and I really liked it.

"I finished it. It was pretty awesome. There's gonna be a season four, right?"

"Oh yeah, but not until next year."

"Bummer."

"Yeah."

The sound of the stairwell door opening suddenly captures my attention and my heart begins to race. Oh shit, we're about to be caught, aren't we?

"What are you doing up here?" Simon speaks and there's anger behind his words. Is it Kyle? I really fucking hope not.

"I can't come up here for a smoke?" A male voice asks and it's not Kyle. Who the hell is it?

"No."

"Aw, am I interrupting your time with your friend here? Or is he your boyfriend now?"

I can hear footsteps traveling across the roof, but they don't come near us, then they stop and there's the distinct sound of a lighter being flicked. Simon's shoes scrape across the concrete and he suddenly grabs my arm as he moves to stand.